General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery or alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hikeetech
So I was wondering if someone can provide me a step by step procedure for me to follow.
Fault Finding Flow Chart for Motorcycle Charging Systems

Old 06-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark1200
newbie question.
when looking at my my multi meter , for ohms it has 5 dif settings. can someone explain them to me ? it says 2000K, 200K, 20K, 2000, 200. how do i know when, and which setting to use ?
which 1 do i use for test the resistance in the stator wires ?

I'd say 200 is what you need

Old 06-22-2011, 03:47 PM

Thanks.
can u explain how i would know when to use each dif setting ?

Old 06-22-2011, 10:54 PM

Thanks.
I'd assume 200 means whatever the reading you get from the multimeter, you X by 100, 2000 means X by 1000....so on and so for...

Old 06-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks.
The Internet is a wonderful tool for finding info on just about anything if given a chance.

YouTube - ‪How To Use An Ohmmeter‬‏

Old 06-26-2011, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the video.
my computer internet is slow so i dont do utube often. strangely , i know enough about electronics to understand how to do these tests, but i still dont understand when, or how to know which setting to use on the meter.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:20 PM

Multi-meters can vary quite a bit between models. But basically, your looking at a snapshot range of numbers for each settings. The lower setting, the more precise it will be. Think of it this way: think of an image from space looking down at the earth. the higher the value on the meter, the larger the picture it will see(entire earth), but it won't be able to see the details(less than whole numbers). The lower the scale, more detail it will see, (close up shots of buidings), but not all of the picture available

That may be more confusing, so try this;

The 2k will get your accuracy within a 1/10 of a whole number where the 20k will only get you accuracy within 10 whole numbers. They all read 0-whatever, but the lower the setting, the more accuracy it will give for the lesser desired values. So when your looking for ohms that under 1.0, you need the lower setting in order to get a readable value.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 AM

Thats what im talking about. Thanks
so is it safe to say that if the manual give me a spec that has 2 decimal places , i would simply set the meter to give me a reading that supplies 2 decimal places?

Old 06-27-2011, 09:53 PM

so, I charged my battery last night and I rode to work this morning, everything seemed fine. I know my bike has issue with either charging system or the battery, I just dont know which one and that's why I charge my bike after every use. anyway, on my way back, I decided to put some air in the tires because I have not checked the tire pressure since I bought the bike like 1 month ago.
5 minutes later, when I tried to start her up again, I realized that the battery was dead on me again. Lucky, I was at a gas station and its not too hard to get a boost. I let the bike idle and it quickly shut it itself off. I guess the battery level was too low to keep the bike running. so I boosted it again and this time, I kept the engine running at 3000+rpm. I then rode it home.
My question is: does it mean I got a faulty battery? because otherwise I wouldnt have been able to ride home if either the stator or the r/r was broken. I check the battery level as soon as I got home. My mutlimeter reads "12.16v" when engine is off and "13.78" when I reved to 5000+rpm with high beam on. So I think its a good indication that my charging system is working fine, right?
I bought a brand new battery tonight and hope it will solve the problem. Anyway, will keep you guys posted.

Last edited by hikeetech; 06-28-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:16 AM

I can't seem to get a good voltage reading across the battery terminals when then bike is on at 4000+rpm. I usually get below 14v even with the new battery. ppl saying that I should have gotten something like 14.5v average.
So is my charging system still not working properly? or its normal?

Quick Reply: battery or alternator?