General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery or alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will measure the wires this weekend. and will keep you posted. I downloaded the repair manual and it doesnt seem to be to hard to replace the stator. I really appreciate the help.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:55 PM

Its much more likely to be the reg/rec failing than the stator. stators usually only fail after a bad drop on the left side.
But its no use guessing you need to do all the tests with a multimeter.
As well as the test already mentioned for the stator you should also check each wire to earth for continuity.
There should be NO continuity.
I would also check the voltage from each wire while the bike is running at 5k they should all show the same voltage, just remember to set your meter to ac and unplug the connector or you will get false readings.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Monkeh
Its much more likely to be the reg/rec failing than the stator. stators usually only fail after a bad drop on the left side.
As well as the test already mentioned for the stator you should also check each wire to earth for continuity.
I would also check the voltage from each wire while the bike is running at 5k they should all show the same voltage, just remember to set your meter to ac and unplug the connector or you will get false readings.
when u test the stator for ac voltage ,do u disconect the plug and run the bike with it unpuged, while testing?

Old 06-18-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by hikeetech
I will measure the wires this weekend. and will keep you posted. I downloaded the repair manual and it doesnt seem to be to hard to replace the stator. I really appreciate the help.
were did u download the repair manual from ?
do they have rr manuals?

scratch that. i just found the manual post.
thanks anyways

Last edited by mark1200; 06-18-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Monkeh
The bike was dropped on the left side by the previous owner, and the stator cover was all scratched up.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:19 AM

What's the max ampage for the leakage test? The site instruction states 1.2mA and the repair manual says 0.1mA

Old 06-20-2011, 11:29 AM

I tried to follow the instructions posted on this site to check whether its my charging system or battery that seems to be faulty. But its not very useful since there is a missing step (step 4). So I was wondering if someone can provide me a step by step procedure for me to follow. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:03 PM

1. measure the voltage at the battery with the bike off. It should read above 12 volts. Start the bike, let it warm up. Turn on high beams and bring the revs up to 4,000 rpms. The voltage now should be above 14 volts, near 15. If the voltage has dropped or not increased, the battery is not being charged by the charging system. If the voltage increases to an acceptable range,(13-15.5) then the bike is charging and that is not where your problem is. At that point, you could look into your battery or an external draw on the battery.

If the bike has been determined to not be charging, with the bike not running, remove the plug from the rectifier and measure resistance in oms across the three same colored wires. 1 and 2, 2 and 3, 1 and 3. The resistance should not be greater than 1.0 ohm. Also, take those same wires and one by one, place the hot lead of the ohm reader to the wire, and the ground to the ground of at the battery. Again, there should not be more than 1.0 ohm of resistance. if there is in either case, the stator has grounded and will need to be changed.

Also, since your going to be there. Make sure all of the pins are secure inside the plug. Sometimes, the pins will work their way out and even though the plugs are together, the wires internally are not making contact. Just something to look at while your there.

But, from what you've already posted, I would lean towards it not charging and needing the stator checked.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:38 PM

thats exactly what I need. Thank you.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:23 AM

newbie question.
when looking at my my multi meter , for ohms it has 5 dif settings. can someone explain them to me ? it says 2000K, 200K, 20K, 2000, 200. how do i know when, and which setting to use ?
which 1 do i use for test the resistance in the stator wires ?

Quick Reply: battery or alternator?