General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it the battery?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it the battery?

Hi all,

First post here about my first bike (CBR 600 F).

I put in a new battery about 8 months ago, I also have a datatool alarm which uses the battery to power it self (99% sure)

Problem:

Now I havent used it for a week and the Bike doesnt seem to start, instead I hear this repeated clicking noise from the battery which has never happened b4 and B4 I havent used the bike for up 2 a three week period after which it started very smoothly.

Note: about two weeks b4, I could tell bike was taking a little longer to start it self.

What could the problem be guys/gals? I am a puzzled! :?: :?:

Old 07-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is it the battery?

the clicking is coming from the solenoid. This could be solved by getting a new solenoid, or it could possibly be the actual start switch in the handle. You are going to want to take off the right rear side cover, and right under where the seat and tank meet from the side will be a wire coming from the battery and another black one. take a screw driver and bridge the connection between the two nuts and see if it starts. or atleast cranks like normal. the bike *should* start given the battery is not dead. you can start your bike like this or by popping the clutch until you replace the solenoid. i bought a new solenoid and it worked great, then it started doing the same thing again so i know its the actual switch so i hooked up a remote switch in case it acts up i can still get the bike started. my suggestion would be to replace the solenoid, since you will never know its the switch unless you replace the solenoid and it still does it, but solenoids do go out, so its good to have an extra unless you like push starting your bike.

if you want to get a new switch go to:
http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

and choose your bike, look under 'Battery' then it will be #11 (not sure on 88-90 i looked under 87, they are all the same part), part #35851-MF5-751. http://www.servicehonda.com is cheaper but their site is down at the moment, you can try them later by searching the part # once it is back up.

you could also check out ebay i see them on there all the time, just depends on if you want a new one or not.