F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

will using my car battery charger in my bokes battery hurt it?

  #1  
Old 12-28-2009, 12:25 PM
jharbinson's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 108
Default will using my car battery charger in my bokes battery hurt it?

My battery is dead and I have a old charger for car batteries. can I use it to charger my bikes battery or am I going to blow it up? And do I need to take the battery out to charge it or do you just connect the charger while everything is hooked up?
 
  #2  
Old 12-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location:
Posts: 310
Default

I would unhook the battery before using it, just in case. Make sure the charger is set at a 12 volt setting. I have used car charger on my bikes before.

A battery tender is never a waste of money. I always pull my battery out for the winter and a battery should never be set directly on concrete. I put mine on a piece of wood whenever it gets pulled out. I hook the tender up to my battery once a week In the winter if I remember.
 
  #3  
Old 12-28-2009, 03:45 PM
jharbinson's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 108
Default

Originally Posted by MC_spirited View Post
I would unhook the battery before using it, just in case. Make sure the charger is set at a 12 volt setting. I have used car charger on my bikes before.

A battery tender is never a waste of money. I always pull my battery out for the winter and a battery should never be set directly on concrete. I put mine on a piece of wood whenever it gets pulled out. I hook the tender up to my battery once a week In the winter if I remember.
Thanks for the info... I also meant to ask if my jumper box will damage the bike. Its just one of those boxes that holds a charge that youu plug up to your battery like jumper cables and starts it up.
 
  #4  
Old 12-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location:
Posts: 310
Default

It probablly won't as long as it is hooked up properly but ya never know. Takes 2 min to unhook the battery. A lot longer to diagnose a fried electrical system.
 

Last edited by MC_spirited; 12-28-2009 at 07:19 PM.
  #5  
Old 12-28-2009, 07:57 PM
Stuntforlife's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 72
Wink

no a jump box will work fine. but like MC said, make sure the charger is set to a 12 volt setting. no need to charge fast either. and you can leave stuff hooked up while charging, not suggested but you can... i jump start mine sometimes from a car... and jump box and a charger ha ha...
 
  #6  
Old 12-29-2009, 09:29 AM
chuckbear's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 968
Default

You'll be fine with it as long as you can use a low setting (2 amps or less).
 
  #7  
Old 12-29-2009, 12:04 PM
hondajunkie's Avatar
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tinley Park,Illinois
Posts: 2,658
Default

Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
You'll be fine with it as long as you can use a low setting (2 amps or less).
I agree indubadidly (did I spell that right? lol)
12volts...LOW amperage.
High amps will fry the battery
 
  #8  
Old 12-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Zero1080's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,185
Default

Take it out. IMO, it's MUCH easier to work. I take mine out, keep it in my room, sitting on my desk, and just leave it plugged in all winter.
 
  #9  
Old 12-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location:
Posts: 310
Default

A little side note on battery removal, Therea a hole in the bottom of the battery box so you can push it up and out instead of tugging on it from the top. I've had that battery out a dozen times and never noticed it. Duh!
 
  #10  
Old 12-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location:
Posts: 312
Default

Originally Posted by MC_spirited View Post
A little side note on battery removal, Therea a hole in the bottom of the battery box so you can push it up and out instead of tugging on it from the top. I've had that battery out a dozen times and never noticed it. Duh!
Yep - and or pull the cables off, then put the bolts back in and use the heads of the bolts to grab with a pair of Vice Grips...
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: will using my car battery charger in my bokes battery hurt it?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.