F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

will using my car battery charger in my bokes battery hurt it?

Old 12-30-2009, 12:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MC_spirited
A little side note on battery removal, Therea a hole in the bottom of the battery box so you can push it up and out instead of tugging on it from the top. I've had that battery out a dozen times and never noticed it. Duh!
I will have to look now. NEVER noticed. But I can just pinch the sides with my fingers (big hands help) and just pull it straight out.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so I plugged up the charger at 2amps and I could here the light buzzing sound letting you know its charging. after about an hour or 2 the buzzing was gone like it stopped charging??? I made sure the connections were good. I have not tried to start it yet but does it charge in an hour or 2? I figured it was going to be 12 hours or more....

Old 12-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

If you're charging a battery on the bike with a standard charger ALWAYS disconnect the negative lead from the battery first (to be on the safe side). Older style battery chargers use half wave rectification which when applied to the rectifier on the bike can cause damage to the components in them.

If your charger has stopped buzzing that probably just means that it is trickle charging as the main charge has been achieved. If you leave it for 12 hours you're assured of a full charge. A more modern charger will tell you when you can stop charging.
There's a lot of physics and chemistry to learn about batteries of all types. They cost a few bucks so why take a chance with them. Treat them with respect and they will reward you with longevity and reliability.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by HenryM
If you're charging a battery on the bike with a standard charger ALWAYS disconnect the negative lead from the battery first (to be on the safe side). Older style battery chargers use half wave rectification which when applied to the rectifier on the bike can cause damage to the components in them.

If your charger has stopped buzzing that probably just means that it is trickle charging as the main charge has been achieved. If you leave it for 12 hours you're assured of a full charge. A more modern charger will tell you when you can stop charging.
There's a lot of physics and chemistry to learn about batteries of all types. They cost a few bucks so why take a chance with them. Treat them with respect and they will reward you with longevity and reliability.
Thanks for the info my man! This is an awesome site for help. Posters are always helpfull and quick too.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jharbinson
Thanks for the info my man! This is an awesome site for help. Posters are always helpfull and quick too.
There's some very smart and bike-savvy folks around here. You might not always get the right answer right away, but we damn sure try!