General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Applying Rim Tape Correctly

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad to help, for a temp fix you can try that glue sticks the kids use in school, it sticks till it gets wet. but it will hold till the new ones show up
you can also get the reflective ones if you want, match the color to your car, or get black reflective, for that added pop.

Black reflective rim tape for Graffiti?? : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

it looks very sharp

Old 04-10-2013, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by MrHEX
glad to help, for a temp fix you can try that glue sticks the kids use in school, it sticks till it gets wet. but it will hold till the new ones show up
you can also get the reflective ones if you want, match the color to your car, or get black reflective, for that added pop.

Black reflective rim tape for Graffiti?? : Honda CBR 600RR Sportbike Forum : 600RR.Net

it looks very sharp
Looks very sharp indeed, but I'm seldom out on my bike at night, the new ones I order are white/silver reflective and they arrived yesterday, so I used the alcohol wipes last night that I got out of work and applied a few cut up bits of the old tape I had left over. I checked them this morning before I left for work & they were still stuck. I also got other wipes this morning so I'm going to re-clean them again before I put the new ones on, which to be fair, seem to be a lot better quality than the 1st ones I bought.

I'll upload a pic when I get them on.

Thanks again mate

Attached Thumbnails Applying Rim Tape Correctly-wipes.jpg  
Old 04-10-2013, 06:25 PM

if its not too late, stay away from hand cleaning products, or engine cleaners. they are almost always mixed with some kind of oil or petrol product.
alcohol based products work the best.
if this 'big wipes' are what i think they are, they are like wet shop towels. good product but not so good for cleaning rims.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:18 AM

if its not too late, stay away from hand cleaning products, or engine cleaners. they are almost always mixed with some kind of oil or petrol product.
alcohol based products work the best.
if this 'big wipes' are what i think they are, they are like wet shop towels. good product but not so good for cleaning rims.
Not too late at all, didn't have time last night and probably won't have time tonight either (busy man!!!) lol, I used these white wipes (pic attached) the other night and stuck the left over bits on and so far so good, checked them again this morning and they're still holding firm, I might use the 'big wipes' then hot soapy water, rinse and then the white wipes for one final clean.

I know they're hand wipes too but I'll check the ingredients to see if there's any oil based products in it.

Thanks again Dude

Attached Thumbnails Applying Rim Tape Correctly-wipes.jpg  
Old 04-15-2013, 03:04 AM

Well Guys, I finally got around to getting my new tape on, used the yellow 'Big Wipes' shown in an earlier picture, worked a treat, although putting them on 'straight' (in a true circle) was a bit of challenge but all in all I'm happy enough with the outcome.

Thanks for all the help and advice.
Very much appreciated.

Cheers.

Attached Thumbnails Applying Rim Tape Correctly-without-flash.jpg   Applying Rim Tape Correctly-flash.jpg  
Old 04-15-2013, 10:53 AM

looking good, very sharp
dont worry too much about getting it exactly on the center, unless you are right up close you wont see it. if you used the pre-curved tapes, make sure the ends match and your good to go.
from now on, make sure you dont get oil/cleaner on it, specially when you are cleaning your chain.
i know, for my self, i use WD to clean my chain before i put new chain lube on it and ya that can get a bit messy but i clean it right away and your set.

if you care, there are tools you can buy that will help you line it up properly in the center or off the edge or what ever. but they are spicific to the tape you use, from what i see in the pic, looks like you used the 5mm ones, a bit wider so you will need the 5mm tool.

you can also get a roll of the tape and use the tool to put it on.

but all said, it looks good.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:18 AM

looking good, very sharp
dont worry too much about getting it exactly on the center, unless you are right up close you wont see it. if you used the pre-curved tapes, make sure the ends match and your good to go.
from now on, make sure you dont get oil/cleaner on it, specially when you are cleaning your chain.
i know, for my self, i use WD to clean my chain before i put new chain lube on it and ya that can get a bit messy but i clean it right away and your set.

if you care, there are tools you can buy that will help you line it up properly in the center or off the edge or what ever. but they are spicific to the tape you use, from what i see in the pic, looks like you used the 5mm ones, a bit wider so you will need the 5mm tool.

you can also get a roll of the tape and use the tool to put it on.

but all said, it looks good.

Thanks Man,

I actually used the 10mm pre-curved stuff, I had originally ordered the 7mm ones but then changed them to 10mm, now that I have it on maybe I should of went with the 7mm stuff but I'll know for the next time.
I seen a guy on YouTube using one of those wee tape applicators (with a roll of tape) you're talking about, they seem to be a good job but he was in the US and I couldn't find anybody in the UK who sold them, but now I've got my wheels taped it'll give me more time to look for it again.

Thanks again for all the help & advice mate, much appreciated

Old 04-16-2013, 06:22 AM

ebay my friend
you can buy them for around $10-15 a roll with the applictor.
they are a lot like the correction tape used on paper

Old 04-16-2013, 11:02 AM

ebay my friend
you can buy them for around $10-15 a roll with the applictor.
they are a lot like the correction tape used on paper
This is the one I seen on YouTube :-