General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any advice for a fairly new rider?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advice for a fairly new rider?

Hey guys! I just started riding (seriously) about 3 months ago or whenever it got warm here in Ohio. ****ing weather! Anyways, I think i'm progressing pretty well. Pretty confident in my shifting and acceleration. Tight turns, like from a dead stop at a stop sign, i'm still trying to get better at. I was wondering if u guys have any advice, i'd really be gracious for any tips. Plus ive been riding in a development and am wondering when u think its time to move out to the streets. I mean i think i could deal with it now but want to hear some feedback. Thanks a lot people!

[IMG]local://upfiles/4443/58502C6E8A2D4367A0F2D49381D18463.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Any advice for a fairly new rider?

I say go for it, just ride very defensively like you should regardless of how much experience you have. If you feel the need then stick to the smaller streets with less traffic and when your confidence builds go for busier streets. You might consider going out real early or real late and head out on the highways in your area to see what it is like going 100 or so. Don't be afraid of the speed going strait. The bike will be real stable. Always look ahead and be defensive.

All this advice is assuming you have your motorcycle temps. Also sign up for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course that is offered in your area. If the states $25 dollar course is already filled up like it is in central Ohio then consider paying more and taking it from a private school like a local bike shop who might be offering it. If you bought your bike new Honda will refund you up to $35, I think, once you send in proof you completed the course. Also after completing the course you just have to show proof to the BMV and you will get your full endorsements.

Old 04-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any advice for a fairly new rider?

when i first started out, my dad had me riding in the neighborhood just to get the basics of engaging the clutch, throttle controll, braking and whatnot. basically, just long enough to where i knew how to make the bike do what i wanted. only about a week of that, then i basically just left one day and headed for the highway, and soon after, the interstate. the only way i can learn things pretty much is to do them for myself, not exactly the safest approach is guess since i was very inexperienced at that point, but tough sh*t, life is hard, lol. you'll be alright though, if you head out onto the streets, try it when there isnt a lot of traffic, just to get used to lane position, and just navigating through the streets, its like learning the rules of driving all over again. ive been at it for around 4 years now, and i still recognise my inexperience, its just a learning process like anything else, i still stall at a stoplight every once in a while, eslecially with the gloves on, haha.

just be careful, have fun, and good luck!