CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New rider - 1st bike CBR1000f '92 - any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New rider - 1st bike CBR1000f '92 - any advice?

Hello all, just a quick post to say hi and maybe get some advice from any seasoned CBR1000f owners out there.

Past my test a couple of months ago and bought a very clean and sexy CBR which I fell in love with at first sight and a couple of my first impressions are 1/ wow, how powerful is this bike? B/ it's bloody heavy and turns like a oil tanker and C/ I think I was born to ride bikes but have sadly left it til I'm 44 to past my test

So my question to anyone that would like to help a new rider/owner come to grips with his bike is are there any tips/advice or things I should know that will help me build my confidence and control of this bike.?

A couple of problems I have found is I get pins and needles in my clutch hand and have to shake it out regularly and the pegs seen a little high for comfort. I should point out I'm a big guy of 23 stone and the CBR may not be the most fat-bloke friendly bike on the road but I want to keep it a few months before I upgrade to something more suitable.

Thanks in advance for any reply and I'm sure I'll spend many hours reading through these forums x

Old 09-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome and search the 1000F threads - pretty much has all the discussions relative to
the topics you are asking about

Old 09-07-2012, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Scott Ibiza Live Page
Hello all, just a quick post to say hi and maybe get some advice from any seasoned CBR1000f owners out there.

Past my test a couple of months ago and bought a very clean and sexy CBR which I fell in love with at first sight and a couple of my first impressions are 1/ wow, how powerful is this bike? B/ it's bloody heavy and turns like a oil tanker and C/ I think I was born to ride bikes but have sadly left it til I'm 44 to past my test

So my question to anyone that would like to help a new rider/owner come to grips with his bike is are there any tips/advice or things I should know that will help me build my confidence and control of this bike.?

A couple of problems I have found is I get pins and needles in my clutch hand and have to shake it out regularly and the pegs seen a little high for comfort. I should point out I'm a big guy of 23 stone and the CBR may not be the most fat-bloke friendly bike on the road but I want to keep it a few months before I upgrade to something more suitable.

Thanks in advance for any reply and I'm sure I'll spend many hours reading through these forums x

Hi Scott, welcome to the forum, I have an '89 f-j and like yourself am of generous proportions. Couple of things you can do, there are some adjustable pegs available on ebay from China, or you can do the Buell footpeg mod, (aftermarket pegs for the Buell Lightning that drop them about 1 inch), which I have done, you can just see the offside peg here, you can also get risers that raise the bars about an inch which make things more comfortable. I also got a secondhand seat off ebay and had it reprofiled to lift me up slightly which again raised the seat to peg distance easing my legs.

Take a read through the various threads to find what you need.

Cheers, Steve

Attached Thumbnails New rider - 1st bike CBR1000f '92 - any advice?-100_0544.jpg   New rider - 1st bike CBR1000f '92 - any advice?-100_0468.jpg  

Last edited by steve.zodiac; 09-07-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Senior Member and Montana roustabout :)

From one newb to another, welcome to the forum. I bought my '93 1000F a few weeks ago.

Past my test a couple of months ago and bought a very clean and sexy CBR which I fell in love with at first sight and a couple of my first impressions are 1/ wow, how powerful is this bike?
Powerful enough to get you into trouble if you're not careful

B/ it's bloody heavy and turns like a oil tanker
It's quite heavy, but you'll get used to it. I'm still getting used to it, but with every ride, it gets better...

C/ I think I was born to ride bikes but have sadly left it til I'm 44 to past my test
Same here, almost. I'm 41 and just got my permit. I've ridden in the past, but never had a motorcycle endorsement....

Time and riding will build your confidence. Truth be told, I was scared s***less on my first ride, but that lasted about 30 minutes or so, then it was nothing but ear to ear smiling! Like I mentioned above, if you can find a safety class to take, I believe that will help also.

The best thing I've found is when I'm on a straight stretch, I take my left hand off the grip and move it around as much as possible to relieve any pain/cramps. For my throttle hand, I bought a Crampbuster, which allows you to keep pressure on the throttle with your palm so you can wiggle your fingers... I'm a big guy too and I find the bike fits me well. The guy I bought mine from also had a CBR 600RR and I felt like I had to squeeze between the rear seat and tank just fit on it. I may look into bar risers at some point and maybe a peg lowering kit, only because I'll be "endurance riding" 600 miles from my home to my job on a regular basis.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Other than tailoring the fit to one's personal preference, I have found the 1000f to be the most all-around pleasing bike I've ever owned. The only upgrade I would make is finding one with fewer miles on it

Old 09-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The clutch had will get stronger over riding time. I have similar problem in the spring.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:24 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Scott, the guys have answered most questions and given you some good advice.

It will help us help you and understand better your riding conditions if you tell us your location, just a country will do, helps if you fill this info on you user CP at the top left of the page.

I've been riding a few years now, but like you I started late and the CBR is my first bike, so things I've learned over the last few years.

1. As you've noticed, she weighs a ton! Lean her over at a standstill and you'll soon find the point of no return. You can try and hold her if you like, but you might just bust a gut, so just let her down as gently as you can. I found this out for the first time when I thought the side stand was down

2. Slow manoeuvring, practice, practice, practice. Use the rear break, ****** a handful of front break in a walking pace turn and you'll struggling to hold her up again, not good!

3. Slow and steady, she's a gentle giant, rock steady at speed, but hit that corner too fast and it's all too easy to drift wide into on-coming traffic. Build things up slowly and get to know your limits (I've never found the bikes limits).

4. The controls are actually feather light, don't grip the bars hard, they're just for steering with, you wouldn't try to crush the life out of the steering wheel in your car would you? This will help with both the clutch hand and the throttle hand, relaxed and smooth will bring a great big grin to your face

Any problems technical or otherwise, give us a shout, there are plenty of great people on here who can help

Old 09-07-2012, 09:23 PM

Track time is always good

Old 09-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Banned
Old 09-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't add anything to what has been said except welcome to the site. Just about everything you want to know about your bike will be found here.

Quick Reply: New rider - 1st bike CBR1000f '92 - any advice?