New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Advice all around for new rider...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice all around for new rider...

Hello everyone; I'm a new member here, just over from the automobile boards. I'm a new rider, new endorsement, just went through the local safety course etc. My trouble is, I need SOUND ADVICE. I'm 24 looking for a good sport bike to learn on that I will not feel I have outgrown too soon (i.e. a 250 Ninja or something). Honda CBR's of all varieties have always appealed to me on the basis of style and the general trustworthiness of the Honda name.

My inclination is that I'm looking for a medium displacement bike (like the CBR 600 in some variant but what do I really know?) and I'd like to get something used as I don't want the stress of worrying about every scratch or a ton of depreciation. I don't want too much bike (I know there are always dangers, but I respect that some of these performers are WAY WAY out of my league).

I'd love to hear anyone's recommendations about the evolution of the CBR line, what might be best for me, what kind of prices these things are bringing. New prices don't seem to be helpful and ebay prices are rarely meeting reserve. Can you all point me in the right direction?

There has been some unseasonably warm weather in the SE lately and friends with bikes seem to be having a good time, so I'd like to get an education and bike ASAP.

I appreciate everyone in advance. Thanks!

Old 01-07-2005, 12:25 AM
Default RE: Advice all around for new rider...

well, im in the same boat, or was..i wanted something not too powerful, but not too small either..i got the 600 f4i and so far, it was the best decision i could make..not too heavy, easily manuverable, not too fast out the gate, but fast enough if i need it..front end doesnt wheelie when you open the throttle too much, {within moderation}.. i know within a year or 2 i will want a 1000 or close, but for now, im very happy...im 6 ft. 210lbs, and i was told by friends that the bike would be too small for me...i really dont think it is, with the styling of the bike, it compensates for my size and doesnt look funny...alot of people told me to be safe and start out with a ninja 5oo and get used to the traffic first, which is good advise, especially if you have never ridden before...but the f4i was perfect for me, and so far, i believe i made the right choice..hope that helps you some..and from what ive seen, they hold there value quite nicely...

Old 01-07-2005, 02:05 AM

gunerman13, have you fallen off you F4i yet? Priced replacement body panels yet? Well, as a beginning rider, you will be falling off, and probably sooner than later. Bodywork is not cheap. I cannot stand seeing modern 600's being touted as "beginner" bikes.

firehawkno41, Suzuki SV650. Small enough to be forgiving, big enough to be cool. Fast enough and good handling enough to be a hoot for expirenced riders. No bodywork to crush. 'Nuff said!

Old 01-07-2005, 02:56 AM

I on my starter bike.... cbr600f2. great bike... lots of mods to do... i can dump it and the body get mess up but it is already old and been through ****. I was going to get a new bike but i had a friend that got one, week later dump it. $1500 later for plastic, pegs, exghuast, mirror and front brake lever. all that happen was he left a friends house and the tires were not warm yet took a turn and lost it. MAX he was going was 25MPH.

you going to dump the bike some time. it all about when, how hard, and bad.

I have been ridding for 6 moths and have not dump it yet, but i will.

I like to start out on old bikes becuase if i dump it all well. I already has some scrachets. as i get better less likely i am to dumb it.

all riders i know even if they have road for years say "I still have a chance to dump it. It just about when and how hard."

if you have lots of money and dont mine paying money to fix it up when you dump it. the F4 is a great bike. but i dont have that money so i got something use to learn on.

also frame sliders and handle bar sliders are your friends. they will help but will not save it.

Good luck
Nipz~

Old 01-07-2005, 03:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Chuckracer

firehawkno41, Suzuki SV650. Small enough to be forgiving, big enough to be cool. Fast enough and good handling enough to be a hoot for expirenced riders. No bodywork to crush. 'Nuff said!

correct me if im wrong but a naked bike has to grind something on the black top when you crash. Plastic, metal or the rider. right?

Nipz~

Old 01-07-2005, 08:57 AM

No , i havent dropped it yet, and yes, im sure sooner or later it will happen..Thats why i bought a used bike instead of new..thats the chance you take with everything..Most people i know who drop there bikes are either playing around, showing off, not checking that the kickstand is down all the way, usually doing under 30 mph..i know what fairings cost, covers/pegs cost, im just not the kind of person who will spend 3-4k on some bike that i really dont like...those bikes you mentioned are great starter bikes.

Old 01-07-2005, 10:41 AM

I would have to say the CBR 600 f4i would be te best bet. I have been riding for 15 yrs and just a yr ago moved up to a 1000RR. I am about 5'7 and 160lbs. You should do just fine with a 600.

Old 01-07-2005, 11:20 AM

First off hello and welcome to the boards. As with anything you will find lots of opinions on a good starter bike. You have been given some great advice so far. The sv650 is a great starter bike. It's a naked bike, but you can buy all the farings for it to give it more of a "sportbike" look if you want. Any 500cc bike will kill you as fast as a 1000cc bike. The only difference is how forgiving the bike will be. I think alot of the decision on a starter bike should be based on the maturity of the driver. You took the right step in taking the msf class first. You didn't say anything about it, but make sure you save up for gear. That needs to be your next purchase. Good boots, a riding jacket with armor, a good helmet and gloves. Remember your gear is what keeps your skin off the road. It's the only thing between you and lots of pain. I live in FL where it gets hot. No matter how hot it is with gear on, i'm sure it's cooler then road rash.

As for a first bike. I'd look into an older 600. A CBR600F2 or CBR600F3. You sound pretty mature as far as riding goes. Use your best judgement. Remember it's your life thats at stake if you get something too powerfull for you. Look into an older bike though. The great thing about sportbikes is they hold their resale value. Buy an older cbr600. Ride it for a year or two. Then you can sell it for probably close to what you paid for it. Alot of people make the mistake of buying a sportbike to impress people because it looks cool or whatever. You will impress more people if you are alive and know how to ride it. I had a friend with an old Katana 600 that would hand people their asses in twisties consistantly. He would walk all over people with GSXR750's and other bikes. Just because he knew how to ride. The most important thing is have fun and ride within your means.

Old 01-07-2005, 11:59 AM

Well said, well put, well done.
Sorry if I came off rather abrupt and gruff.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:04 PM

no its cool, you have very good points..ive read comments like yours from alot of experienced riders, and alot of them said the same thing...im just voicing my opinion and what i have found so far..

Quick Reply: Advice all around for new rider...