General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97-f3 2nd gear question.??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question new update-97-f3 2nd gear question.??

my 97 cbr600 f3 for the past few days is popping out of 2nd gear is that an easy fix.??or what do i need to do to fix it my self.??? thanks

Last edited by 1iwilly; 08-06-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:14 PM

It sounds like it may be a bent shift fork, or possible a chipped second gear. Its hard to tell just from the brief description though. If its either one of these, you will have to split the engine. Its a pretty big task and requires a lot of mechanical know how. In all honesty, I would pay a shop to do it. Or, for the cost it would probably be, look into a good used engine on ebay. Its not the cost of the parts, but there is a lot of labor involved. If you are mechanically inclined, get a service manual and maybe tackle it yourself. just be ready for a long time involved.

Just a thought. If you've only had the bike a short time and its always done this, it could be your not getting it into gear all the way. 2nd gear takes a little extra to get it in. If your a light shifter, that could be the issue. Also, if your wearing sneakers instead of riding boots, it may be preventing you from getting that firm shift you need. Try shifting a little hard from first to second, and or wearing a firm pair of boots. if you shift harder and it doesn't pop out, it is probably ok.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Question

Originally Posted by justasquid
It sounds like it may be a bent shift fork, or possible a chipped second gear. Its hard to tell just from the brief description though. If its either one of these, you will have to split the engine. Its a pretty big task and requires a lot of mechanical know how. In all honesty, I would pay a shop to do it. Or, for the cost it would probably be, look into a good used engine on ebay. Its not the cost of the parts, but there is a lot of labor involved. If you are mechanically inclined, get a service manual and maybe tackle it yourself. just be ready for a long time involved.

Just a thought. If you've only had the bike a short time and its always done this, it could be your not getting it into gear all the way. 2nd gear takes a little extra to get it in. If your a light shifter, that could be the issue. Also, if your wearing sneakers instead of riding boots, it may be preventing you from getting that firm shift you need. Try shifting a little hard from first to second, and or wearing a firm pair of boots. if you shift harder and it doesn't pop out, it is probably ok.
when i'm riding in 2nd gear as long as i don't force the engine meaning just staying cruzing it sems ok if i try to bring the rpms up quickly then it starts to like skip.??where i would just go to 3rd real quick not to do damage.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:46 PM

it sounds like a chipped tooth on your second gear. Not 100 percent definate, but that is what a chipped gear does. It goes in gear ok, but can't handle a load and kicks out.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Question update

ok here is an update if the bike sits overnight or when is ice cold i don't seem or so far issue with 2nd gear but once the bike is warm the it starts
oil braking down.?? i'm good up to 30mph after that when it is warm anything pass 30mph then it does it.so i was thinking maybe a oil issue???
thanks