General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 CBR600 Wont start... PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 05:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 CBR600 Wont start... PLEASE HELP!!

Hi all,

I have recently just finished rebuilding my bike, and went to start it today and it wont start.

It cranks over, but wont fire up. Bits of info that could help:

- There is no smoke coming from the exhaust when it cranks.
- Fresh battery
- Fresh plugs / air filter / oil filter
- New oil + fuel
- Carbs have been cleaned professionally
- Electronics have been professionally done

Any suggestions on what it could be?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-23-2014, 06:00 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easiest is to start with the most obvious. Contact failure in the kill switch? Are you in neutral? -> Sidestand switch jamming. Tipover switch jamming? A `97 so it`s an F3, does your fuel pump prime when you turn the key? Do you smell gas after a long crank? Have you pulled the plugs after cranking to see if they are wet?

Old 08-23-2014, 09:06 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One common problem I've seen when someone has rebuilt their bike and it wont start is that the Bank Angle Sensor (BAS) is installed upside down. I don't know if the '97 has one but it might be worth a check to verify that the arrow on the BAS is pointing UP if it does.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mattson & RoadiJeff,

thanks again, checked all them over and were fine, it was my silly error when I was plugging the solenoid back up! Got the wires mixed around lol

Just now trying to figure out why it is so lethargic when I open up the throttle - think it might be down to the air flow sensor as I have installed a Koso speedo and don't think its plugged up properly !

Old 09-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by townsend3111
Mattson & RoadiJeff,

thanks again, checked all them over and were fine, it was my silly error when I was plugging the solenoid back up! Got the wires mixed around lol

Just now trying to figure out why it is so lethargic when I open up the throttle - think it might be down to the air flow sensor as I have installed a Koso speedo and don't think its plugged up properly !
The F3's don't have a BAS. Carburateded bikes typically don't have one. As for professionally cleaned, there can still be something wrong. Lethargic throttle response could be a leak in one of the vacuum slide diaphragms on the top of the carbs. It's easy to not get it seated correctly under the cover. Only 3 screws on top and an easy check. How far apart did the professional cleaning go ? Did they separate the individual carburetors from the rails ? If so, could be sync issue. If not, then I'd suspect the quality of cleaning.