General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94' 900rr WON"T START UP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Honda CBR900RR: Running Issues..

The bike tries to start up but it won't. While starting, if I put the choke on, it will start for a second or not. If I leave the choke off it will not start at all; it won't even attempt to. I cleaned the float bowls up because they were dirty. I, changed the plugs, put new gas in her and cleaned the one jet, pilot whatever it is(7mm screw). Fuel pump seems good.

It's getting gas TO the carb but it seems like its not getting gas down in the carb. IDK!

Last edited by Greyhound; 07-05-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:44 AM

Try this: Remove all four plug leads and insert four spare plugs into them. Now earth the plug leads with the spare plugs in them to the cylinder head. Making sure your battery is fully charged,turn the engine over for a few seconds (10 should be enough) and watch for a spark at the plugs in the leads. If you see all four plugs sparking then your ignition is probably ok. Turn the engine off and remove the bike's four plugs. See if the tips are wet. If they are wet then fuel is getting through to the carbs into the cylinders. If they are bone dry then there is obviously a blockage somewhere in the carbs. Try removing the pilot jets, cleaning them with compressed air (a garage airline is best for this!) and check the level of fuel in each float bowl to see if they are the same. Are you sure fuel is reaching the carbs? Check any filters between the tank and the feed to the carbs for restrictions as you need a good supply not a trickle. One more thing you could try with your plugs and leads re-attached, is to open the throttle to the full position and crank the engine. It may start! If you have flooded the engine by continually trying to start it, this procedure will clear any excess fuel out. Let us know how you get on for further advice?

Originally Posted by Greyhound
The bike tries to start up but it won't. While starting, if I put the choke on, it will start for a second or not. If I leave the choke off it will not start at all; it won't even attempt to. I cleaned the float bowls up because they were dirty. I, changed the plugs, put new gas in her and cleaned the one jet, pilot whatever it is(7mm screw). Fuel pump seems good.

It's getting gas TO the carb but it seems like its not getting gas down in the carb. IDK!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:18 AM

Since my reply yesterday I had a thought: Set your pilot jet screws to the basic setting. If you haven't done this already it's a simple job of screwing each screw in until they 'bottom out' being careful not to overtighten them! Now unscrew each one a full 3 turns. Try and start the bike and if she starts you can adjust each screw by exactly the same amount in or out to achieve the smoothest idle. It may be that the jets are set ok, but worth checking to make sure!

Originally Posted by Greyhound

Old 10-24-2017, 06:18 PM

Okay so on my 94 cbr900rr I’m trying to start the bike and it’ll just keep cranking and white smoke will come out of the exhaust but it won’t start. Any clue? I’m thinking the carbs need repaired because it was sitting awhile before I bought it from this guy.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm fairly new here myself, but with most forums protocol would dictate that you start your very own thread...keeps your issue from getting conflated with the OP of the thread you tacked your problem on to. Benefits you and anyone trying to help.

$0.02

(yeah...you are also on the right track...any bike that has sat for any real length of time will very likely need a serious carb cleaning done: removal, disassembly, clean, reinstall)

Last edited by EchoWars; 10-25-2017 at 06:21 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:56 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by EchoWars
I'm fairly new here myself, but with most forums protocol would dictate that you start your very own thread...keeps your issue from getting conflated with the OP of the thread you tacked your problem on to. Benefits you and anyone trying to help.
I agree. Starting you own thread is the way to go, and they're free, so why not?

Old 10-25-2017, 08:21 AM

You’re right, my bad I’ll definitely start my own!