General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88' 600 hurricane won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 88' 600 hurricane won't start

Was riding the other day and it rode great, parked for a few hours and now it won't start. I checked plugs and only the fourth plug was Fowled. A couple where soaked in gas. I replaced all, checked fuel pump (good) replaced fuel filter and the effin thing won't start. I have compression. Confused what to do and if its the carbs maybe point me in a direction on how to do them properly. Thanks

Old 05-02-2017, 04:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Tyson

When you try to start it, does it turn over normally?

Stupid one first: Are you out of fuel? I've reached the end of the main tank & not had enough left to get it started. You could always switch it to reserve & see if that helps.

Presumably if you've swapped the spark plugs, you've already had the tank & airbox off.

It may be the carbs need a clean, if the spark plugs were soaked in petrol, it sounds like the floats may not be closing due to a blockage. It's amazing how little dirt it takes to stop the floats moving smoothly...

I've not had to remove the carbs on my '89 yet, but usually all you need to do is disconnect the fuel lines, undo the clamps on the engine inlets & the carbs should slide off as a complete unit (Be careful not to pull too hard as the throttle & choke cables will still be attached)

Flip them over, remove the float bowl and give them a good clean out. You can buy carb cleaner in aerosol cans, highly recommended. Make sure you remove & clean all the jets and once your done, wipe with a clean cloth.

I've put a link below, it wasn't the guide I used when I first did this job myself but is reasonably good.

Cleaning a Carburetor in 8 Easy Steps!: 8 Steps

Other thing you could try is check there is actual spark (take each spark plug out & run the starter) so you can see if there is an actual spark. Be careful not to get a shock from them though, it's pretty painful.