General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

600rr electrical problems!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600rr electrical problems!

whenever i turn on my bike, i have no power to my headlights, my fuel pump doesnt turn on, and my gauge cluster works (needle goes up to max then down to 0, oil light, neutral light comes on) but theres no back lighting. power commander is also dead.

this has happened a few times and then it would just fix itself. in the past, ive checked all fuses, ive recently just replaced my front headlight wiring harness, ive checked the bank angle sensor. anyone have any idea as to what is causing this problem? im not too good with wiring so i dont know where to check.

someone said it might be an issue with my kill switch...but that would only be responsible for the fuel pump and not the other devices getting no power?

is it possible its something with my ignition cylinder?

i have a 2005 600rr with yoshi slipon and pc3.

ive pulled apart my 3 relays on the side and they had weird blue stuff all over the inside (looks like rust but blue) i sprayed it with contact cleaner and still no go. how do i check to see if my relays are still good?

Old 03-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Default RE: 600rr electrical problems!

has the bike ever been wrecked anddo you leave it out in the rain cuz it sounds like you have some kinda intermitant poor connection that stuff on your relays sounds like corrosion when you sprayed it did it all come off and do the tabs look shiney or are they like chalky or dull lookin ya know like they have stuff on them . you may wanna take a piece of fine sand paper and lightly scuff the relay tabs till they look clean but not too much like 200 grt or something then i would go over the whole bike starting at the battery and checkin all connectors for loose wires or corroded connections its free to look yourself could be something real simple right under your nose . remember resistance is real bad for wires it causes wierd problems and motor vibration even temerature can cause changes in resistance which would cause things to happen some of the times . hope i could help let me know

Old 03-25-2008, 02:14 AM

yes it has been wrecked and left out in the rain. the tabs on the relays still dont look too clean after i sprayed it with electric cleaner...i guess ill try that next. ive checked all connections and still nothing. i guess ill sand the tabs to get them cleaner and try that.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:12 PM

did you notice any spots where the wires look like they have been stretched or rashed from the wreck and you might wanna kinda tug on the wire harnesses where they go into the connecters but not hard just to see if any of the wires could be loose

Old 03-25-2008, 08:16 PM

I have a similar problem with my bikes 3 relays by the seat there also. but everything electrically works just fine the bike runs and ride's fine as well. The only thing that happens is after I shut the bike off one of the 3 starts to click. It so annoying.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:52 PM

see to me this sounds like circut feed back due to corrosion or something its when corrosion causes a short and the voltage that shuts off and switches to ground is supplying a bad circut a path to ground and causing your reley to click does it click constantly or does it shut off pretty quick

Old 03-26-2008, 11:10 PM

moisture is something that can cause a relay to go bad quickly. mcwheelie has some good ideas. the only other thing i can think of is a bad ignition cylinder or one that is going bad. honda uses a 9 volt turn on for the fuel pump and ignition coils and ignitors. this cuts back on theft because you cant just really easily hotwire them, but if something is not making good contact in the cylinder due to corrosion from moisture that could be causing a problem. only way to test is to put a multimeter on the pink wire in your ignition harness with the key on and it is acting up though.