General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

600F: Knocked over, Puked Oil & now... NO START! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600F: Knocked over, Puked Oil & now... NO START! HELP

My son's '87 600F "Hurricane" got knocked over in the parking lot. Basically, a hit and run and left for dead. Discoverd laying in a pool of its own oil coming out of work at 11pm. Great! (not his exact words I don't believe )

The bike has already been verticle for 3-4 days now and he just added about 1.5 qts of oil to the case to get a reading on the stick.

He has tapped on all four float bowls with a hammer using the rubber handle end of a screwdriver as a drift. (carbs were just cleaned and gone through last month and floats/needles/seats were perfect)

It will pop and hit a bit, just enought to be encouraging, but no start.

Q: What happens when the 600F lays down and takes a nap? I don't know the oiling system and more specifically, the oil & carb vent system. Where does it puke from? Anything vented to the carbs that may have oiled up the carbs directly or be blocking a carb vent line?

I'm sure this is not the first bike to get knocked over and the resurection is probably a common procedure. Guys, we could REALLY use some help, ideas and input. It's his only mode of transport to work next week.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the plugs - I bet they're oil fouled. Crank the bike over a bit just to purge anything left in there - might even spray a little carb cleaner/starting fluid in the cylinders before putting the cleaned up plugs back in.

I can't help on the other questions about a F1 - you can find a shop manual for the 89-90 model here, I'd assume a bit of the parts are similar: http://www.stephygee.com/600FManual.zip

Old 05-05-2011, 07:37 PM

i would have to agree, if you put oil back in and checked the carbs and everything looks good and its not pissin oil anywhere bein vertical then my guess is the plugs got soaked with oil and prob fouled from trying to get it to pop with oil on em, i would just spend the little bit of money it is and get some new plugs, of course just pull the ones in there out first and see if they are oil covered and not sparkin good

Old 05-06-2011, 08:39 AM

Well, I went over and got it started and basically 'running'. Son says this bike must just like me or something.

Looks like at least one float has gotten stuck down/open... on carbs I just went through. Just dunno which one of the four yet. Takes a WOT to start cold, warm or hot and needs a high idle. In a word, I have a "Rich" condition.

Oil fouled plugs was a great suggestion and will pull and check all next. It's fresh off the jack and still naked so pretty easy. Let's see if the float unsticks itself first. :holdsbreath:

I just had him ride it around the apt complex at first and then cracking it some on the backkroads next. So far, so good. We'll do a ride and see for the next few days. Figured that if something got knocked or fouled, well, we'll just try riding the sumbtch some first to jar whatever it was back in place and burn off the plugs. It's a real bentwrench approach for now.

Thanks guys!

Old 05-06-2011, 11:55 AM

id whip the plugs out and have a good lookie before taking it for a ride.

Sounds like he had to put a hell of a lo of oil in it, shouldnt have leaked that much, id be having a closer look

Old 05-06-2011, 02:11 PM

Yeah, he did overfill and I had to take some out. He added as best he could by himself in the dark seated on the bike. Looking at the accident scene, he probably only lost about 1/2 qt.

We'll check plugs after Derby. In Louisville, EVERYTHING stops for the week leading to the Kentucky Derby. As a chef, he's slammed!