CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Ask the Experts, she puked antifreeze down my right leg..

Old 07-21-2014, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ask the Experts, she puked antifreeze down my right leg..

Noticed a few weeks ago when it was 90 degrees and humid the bike would run hot at idle then cool off after I got moving. Last Saturday I got caught in the rain for 2 hours on the way home after installing a new front tire. Finally hit dry roads and let the old gal rip, she puked down my right leg.

Since I am dealing with a 1993 and no history of repairs, me being the third owner and almost 20 thousand on the clock. What would you do? I am thinking the thermostat is stuck open and the over flow tube may not be attached.

I am busier than ever and have no time in the near future to get all the covers and fairings off so I can see what is going on but I can start ordering parts. Would it be safe to suggest replace all the hoses, thermostat, and water pump? Or am I jumping to conclusion?

Old 07-21-2014, 10:35 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say the 3 way plastic T (a common problem ) has let go - not a big deal

ITEM # 20 in this diag , $16.27 plus shipping

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...TOR/parts.html

Old 07-22-2014, 03:23 AM

Sounds legitimate on the three way from what I first saw. Still wondering if the thermostat is stuck open for the original problem of overheating. Thank you for the part link.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

After diagnosing the true nature of your problem, you might get a new radiator cap as well.

Once you get the tank propped up, you can open the radiator cap and you should be able to see part of the thermostat. While staring down the hole, run it through a warm-up/cool-down cycle and you should be able to tell if your thermostat is working

Go to your local auto parts store with cap in hand. Ask for a radiator cap for a 1997 Ford Explorer with a 4.0 SOHC 6 cylinder. That's the cap that fits on my '87 1kf.

You'll want one that says 16 psi or 1.1 bar.

You can save almost $10.00 over ordering it from a Honda parts house.

If you don't know that bike's history, a complete flush is a good idea

Last edited by wooferdog; 07-22-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure the radiator fan turns on? My fan switch was bad and it caused the bike to get really hot anytime I wasn't moving.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is more info on the thermostat -->LINK

And the cap -->LINK

Old 07-22-2014, 06:02 PM

You guys are amazing and that is why I like these forums. Yes on my fan working, the bad, I just filled the tank. The Detroit Credit card trick will come in handy to siphon the gasoline out so I can lift the tank.

I did see multiple threads on replacing the radiator cap, will add that to the list. I just have to find time in the short near future since I miss riding.

If you gentlemen ever need Ford Diesel advice, just ask. I am a Moderator on Ford forum. I value the information that a group of enthusiasts can gather and share.

On Edit: I forgot to mention, when I do inspect the 3-way T it could have prevented the system to build pressure but not leak. I have seen this type of scenario before. Prior to the engine running hot, I was already looking for a suspect but I think it found my leg.

Last edited by Maxium4x4; 07-22-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:15 PM

Simle fix, check if the overflow tube goes all the way down in the reserve thank if yes, when the bike is running hot and the system send coolant in the overflow thanks, since the tube is all the way too the bottom, it 'thinks the thanks is full, thus sendin the collant out,. had this on mine, i cut the tube halfway, i know Shadow did the same at one point.

also makesure the over flow hose is not cracked or dry anywhere .

My two cents.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:15 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Since I am dealing with a 1993 and no history of repairs, me being the third owner and almost 20 thousand on the clock. What would you do? I am thinking the thermostat is stuck open and the over flow tube may not be attached.
Just like to add, as it's a '93 bike the radiator cap and thermostat is located under the small panel under the right hand clip on, not under the tank like the MK1's. Take a look at the parts fiche in the link (part Nos 7 & 17).

1993 Honda CBR1000F A RADIATOR | MRCycles

Old 07-23-2014, 10:40 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Just like to add, as it's a '93 bike the radiator cap and thermostat is located under the small panel under the right hand clip on, not under the tank like the MK1's. Take a look at the parts fiche in the link (part Nos 7 & 17).

1993 Honda CBR1000F A RADIATOR | MRCycles
Sorry, if I've misled. The Hawk is right, though you should still be able to witness the thermostat action.

I have sworn an oath to the MkI, therefore, I do not consider the differences in other years

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ask the Experts, she puked antifreeze down my right leg..