General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gear

Ok so on my 2000 F4 everything works and the bike runs great, BUT in 2nd gear at around 5k RPMs it starts jerking and sorta revving up and down until I shift to 3rd. Is it safe to assume that something is wrong with my teeth in 2nd gear? What am I looking at to fix this? Can I just fix the gear? And will I HAVE to let a shop do it, or can I open it up and do it myself? I have a Clymer manual on it's way as we speak. Thanks

Old 01-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F4tty20 00
Ok so on my 2000 F4 everything works and the bike runs great, BUT in 2nd gear at around 5k RPMs it starts jerking and sorta revving up and down until I shift to 3rd. Is it safe to assume that something is wrong with my teeth in 2nd gear? What am I looking at to fix this? Can I just fix the gear? And will I HAVE to let a shop do it, or can I open it up and do it myself? I have a Clymer manual on it's way as we speak. Thanks

What happens if you rev it hard in 2nd all the way up to redline? Does it skip into a false neutral or jump into another gear?

Any crunching/grinding noises from the gearbox? Does it do the same thing at 5k in other gears?

Gearbox work (if you need it, I'm not sure you do yet) is a time consuming, fiddly and complex affair not for the inexperienced. If you have just ordered a manual and haven't done a lot of bike work before it is probably out of your scope, also rather expensive for a mechanic to do for you due to the labour costs. To put the hassle and labour costs into perspective, most people with gearbox problems opt for a new engine.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:56 AM

hmmm, thanks for the info. Yes, it's only 2nd. I haven't redlined it in 2nd (or even came close) so I couldn't tell ya. I'm afraid to damage something if I do. I've just been shifting out of it before it happens and it runs great.

As far as work I've done, I haven't done a whole lot but I changed my charging rotor on my old CB750, changed the crankcase gasket to stop an oil leak on the same bike and done all of my own regular maintenance. Nothing too major but I follow directions well and am pretty handy in general.

I will ride it again today and listen for noises but I'm not sure I'm going to redline 2nd in fear of further dmg. It's definitely only 2nd gear.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:15 PM
bez

i had a suzuki that would pop out of second gear i ignored it and double shifted from first into third. well in the long run second gear gernaded and locked the bike up solid as i was riding down the road, i was on my way to the drag strip when it gernaded.