General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 cbr 600 f2 tune up

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 cbr 600 f2 tune up

I recently bought a bike. It has 18900 miles ande I want to protect my investment. It is my first street bike. I want to tune it up so that it runs better and so that I don't f it up. When I ride it for an extend time it runs a LITTLE rough. I also heard that every 8000 miles a should check that valve clearance. Is the previous question going to be with the carb? How do I do the valves and will it be expensive to have it down by a mechanic

Old 02-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The valves, time wise is a big job. Removing the panels & so on, all add up when being charged on an hourly rate. Checking valve clearances is pretty straight forward but replacing the shims is more involved, you will need a workshop manual & some decent tools.
To be honest, as it only gets done done every 24000 klms (16000 mls) I get this done by a reputable mechanic, (sure its more satisfying to DIY, but been there, done that & my back & knees can't take the bike crouch any more) My mechanic has a set price & it includes a full tune up (carbs, filters & oil) & from the sound of it, is probably what your bike needs. Bike has to be stone cold for a reliable clearance check.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:46 PM

I get this question at work all the time. "Do you think I can fix it?"
That's a relative question, and I have come to figure out that if the person has to ask that question instead of cracking open a book or searching the amazing internet, they probably cant.

Not saying you are inept. Just saying that you are probably better off taking the bike to a mechanic. It's a very popular model, and any decent shop should give you a price right off the bat from experience doing said valve adjustment.

However, if you are handy, and like reading and getting dirty, I say go for it. The difference between a skilled technician and the guy that knows nothing about cars is that the technician took the risk of making mistakes to gain knowledge.

You will have to buy some specific tools for replacing the shims. Get a good set of feeler gauges etc. It's really more time consuming than it is difficult. You just have to right things down and be meticulous.

Other than the valves, a normal tune up should be something everyone can do on their own.

When you say you ride for an extended time and it runs rough. Is it only when the bike is nice and hot? At idle? At other rpm's under load?
It's a vague description, and it could be carbs, valves, or even ignition.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:25 AM

ya im not inept. thank you but thx for ur reply. I want to do it myself. im just curious about what I should be careful about.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:31 AM

Nice. =) I'm glad you want to do it yourself. As far as I am concerned any task can be completed by a person with the willpower and the money to buy the tools. =)
Not enough people willing to get dirty and have fun.

This looks like a great place to read up for you. And, I'm too lazy to type more.
https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...lve+adjustment

Wow... Edit. Just read up the link I posted in full.

This is so much nicer than the valve adjustments on older Honda's that I'm used to and way less time consuming. Shims? What ****ing shims?! I'm going to adjust mine tomorrow just for fun now.

Seriously, this is a job anyone on the forum should be able to tackle. Much easier valve adjustment than the last CBX I did.

Last edited by AZMechanic; 02-19-2011 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Felt like an idiot for mentioning shims.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:14 AM

i just got a clutch, clutch cable, valve adj, clean and sink carbs, f&r tires put on, front sproket, choke cable. my main shop did all that labor for under 400 bucks some places wanted that just to do the valves.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:54 AM

cool sounds like you got a good deal asides. so i still havent done jack to my bike and i am procrastinating like a ****. ya i know im lazy. anyway i broke out my clymers service manual for my bike and went to the part where it discussed the valves. if the valve shims are bad will they look worn or will i find out through measuring or micrometer?? ALSO.... the person i bought it from last said that he synced the carbs. offered the vacuum gauge and i turned it down like a dummy. to make a long story short when i ride it and hold the throttle like at any rpm it sputters. it doesnt sound right. and i am afraid if i go over 8,000 rpm that i will blow the engine. It just sounds to loud. am i being paranoid??

Old 02-21-2011, 01:39 PM

Not being paranoid. Probably wont be a bomb between your legs. But why ride it like that? Fix it man. haha