General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 CBR1000RR Only Starts When Cold

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 CBR1000RR Only Starts When Cold

Last weekend my bike started giving some weird issues. Up until now its ran like a champ.
If the bike has been sitting for awhile and it is cold; it'll fire right up with no hesitation and it will run great. No issues. After riding long enough for it to heat things up; if I stop it. It won't start again. Turns over but no pops or ignition of any kind.
It'll kick over till the cows come home or until the battery dies :P
If I just stop, let it cool down to 160 or lower and try it again it will start popping and eventually start. Again; once started it runs just great.
I believe it is getting fuel and that the fuel pump is working simply because after kicking it over for a few minutes it starts wreaking of gas. That and when I turn the key I can hear the fuel pump prime.
I thought it was bad gas originally so pulled the tank, drained everything and let the rest evap out. Filled it back up with KG gas that never has given me issues.
Same issue.
Battery seems to be fine. I took a multimeter to it while it was cold as well as when it was hot. Registers around 12 -13 volts. With the bike running the volts go up which I guess would indicate it is charging correctly.
I did go ahead and check all fuses as well as reseating most of the connections to the ECM ect but also to no avail.
The next thing I plan on checking is to pull the bike apart; get it to give me issues and then pull one of the spark plugs to see if I'm getting spark.
Other than that...
I'm somewhat at a loss. I plan on taking it into the manufacturer but they are so busy they are backed up for a few weeks. Gotta get it done to hit up the last track day this year.
ANY help would be appreciative?
I'm thinking the regulator/rectifier or the ECM, any other suggestions?

Old 09-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Default RE: 07 CBR1000RR Only Starts When Cold

I would suggest that you try a new battery. I know that I have had batteries in cars that were like that that had a bad cell in them. Its the cheapest route. I would say get the battery and dont put it in right away. Warm the bike up and then turn it off and when the bike doesnt start, try the new batt. Just my opinion.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:04 AM

I was hoping it'd be as easy as that. Nogo.
Still issues with a new battery.
I might end up taking it in as much as I don't want to :S

Old 09-22-2008, 07:10 PM

I think a good step in the right direction will be to check for spark and even injector pulse if you can. I am not sure if our relays work like this, but some relays that operate non-stop after being energized have hold-in windings, and they will work fine as long as the power does not get cut, or the bike/vehicle keeps running. Then as soon as you cut the power, the relay may not energize because the pull-in windings are not good as opposed the hold-in windings.

WhatI am getting at is that you may have a bad main relay, or something similar, and a lot of times, an electrical component such as that will act up when it gets hot, but not when itiscold. I hate electrical problems. Have you trieda heavy throttle when the bike is acting up in case it is flooding?

Old 06-24-2021, 07:15 PM

Hoard,

I have a 2006 cbr f4i and having hot start issues. Mine doesn't even crank over but it seemed similar to your issue. I know the thread is from 2008 was hoping you were able to figure out the issue as I'm stumped after replacing everything from the starter switch, starter solenoid etc.