General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 954 - strange issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 03 954 - strange issues

Went out to start my bike, turned the key, dash came on but no headlights and turn signals? Also the rear brake light was a solid Yellow (from the turn signals) and seemed locked? It is a hidden LED.
Hit the kill switch to ignition and did not hear any air pressure or fuel injection that comes from the gas tank in order to start?
The weird thing is, in pushing the start button, it wanted to turn over AND also the horn works?
All of the fuses are good and the battery is pretty much brand new.

The last time I rode was on Friday night and I remember it had rained unexpectedly during the day just for a minute. So the only thing I can think is that some how water messed up a wire or something has fried. It rode home fine.

Any ideas or suggestions CBR family??? Do not want to take it to a dealer!
Thanks

Old 06-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sounds bad, like a ECU failure. I don't think its a short, as that would usually just blow a fuse. You can confirm anyway if you want by pulling all the fuses that aren't necessary to get the bike started. Headlights, turn signals, gauge cluster, etc. This will disconnect those wire runs from the rest of the bike. If it works, then add the fuses back one at a time until you find which one has the short, and then troubleshoot from there.

Maybe even start with just figuring out why those rear signals are on, and that might yield some clues. The ONLY way power gets to those is if the signal relay is closed. Pull your signal relays and see if everything works then. Those LED tailights usually have a circuit in them that turns the red LEDs off when the yellow ones come on, so the circuit for those is TOTALLY different from a stock brake light \ turn signal setup. I'd disconnect power to the entire assembly and see what that does.