General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 929 RR, Can someone help me identify this plug/part number?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 929 RR, Can someone help me identify this plug/part number?

Hey guys. Last week I started having a high beam/horn issue, - the high beams would periodically work or not, and would flicker when they did work (in connection with bumps in the road), and the horn sounded like it was pulsating really fast instead of honking, I was checking a few things a day when I could, and before I could find the problem it magically resolved itself, and then today my tripometers/clock started resetting themselves anytime I turned the bike off. My first instinct was to check the battery, so I pulled it out and tested it and it was fully charged. I put it back in and it appears to be getting the correct voltage as well. I googled and found a thread that indicated the problem could be with wiring under the right front fairing, so I took it off and discovered that apparently in the first few thousand miles of the bike (when I didn't own it), the large gray connector located there was um, broken, or crushed, and sort of taped back together and shoved back in. I can manipulate it with squeezes or taps and get my gauge cluster/lights to go on and off - so I'm pretty sure it's the root of the issue.
I'm pretty sure it's beyond saving, I could try to stick the wires back in all the way and retape it tightly, but I'd like to just replace it. Can someone tell me what this connector/plug is actually called? or even better a part number?

Old 08-01-2010, 09:04 PM

wow, that really sucks. I don't know of anywhere that you can buy just the plug. I think you have to purchase the entire wiring harness. You could probable get a decent wiring harness on ebay for 100 bucks or less.

having said that, I would at least go to a dealership and see if they can get one.

Or, another option, is to purchase a different style connector that has the same number of pin locations. As long as your pins clip inside, you could theoretically use any style plug. And, it may be easier to find a generic plug.

Or, another option, not one I would do, but would work. Is to eliminate the plug all together. You could remove all of the wires, and plug them in directly to each other. If you get some rubber covers for each wire, you could simply plug each wire in one at a time. Or heat shrink them, but it would be very hard if you ever had to remove the wires for some reason.

One more thing. Looking at the picture, it appears on the left side, you have two pins coming out of the plug. It looks like the connection may be bad there. Try pushing those two pins back into the plug and see if they clip into place.

Last edited by justasquid; 08-01-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If by you pushing those two pins back in does not solve your problem,find out which side of the wiring harness is cracked and replace that side only.Might be cheaper,

Old 08-02-2010, 06:19 PM

Thanks for your responses guys.
The two wires that are visibly hanging out was literally a result of lifting the plug 2 inches for the picture, any manipulation of it caused 10-12 wires to fall out, and sticking them back in didn't help. When I unwrapped the tape, the whole box just fell to pieces, I couldn't even unplug it without more cracking and things coming loose. I called a few honda dealerships, and ron ayers - and everyone said the same thing, either buy a wiring harness (500$+ for a wiring harness, for one plug - no thanks. Or try to find one that I can trust on ebay for 100$+ - also no thanks.), or connect the wires directly if I was willing to sacrifice the ability to easily move or disconnect that wire.

So, after struggling to even get the plug apart, or a single wire out intentionally, I plugged it all back up and cut the plug out (so that I would have the remnants of wires in each end still to help reconnect everything.)

So, I cut the plug out, and butt connected (I guess that's the right phrasing, since I used butt connectors), and heat-shrinked everything, and all of my electrical problems are solved.

This is the result of just taking the tape off the plug and taking it out, I didn't hit it, squeeze it, or do anything bad to it - it literally just fell apart.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that sucks,but glad you fixed the problem