F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

WIRING UP THE TAIL WITH A TRAILER CONTROLLER.....HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WIRING UP THE TAIL WITH A TRAILER CONTROLLER.....HELP?

i have read a couple articles where people have used a trailer wiring harness to enable there 2 brake lights to function at directionals, which in turn enables the stock ones to be eliminated. i woudl like to do this, but i have a 2006 model brand new, and i wanna have all my details sorted out b4 i start. could someone walk be through this, or has anyone taken alot of pictures with doing this?

Old 06-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Default RE: WIRING UP THE TAIL WITH A TRAILER CONTROLLER.....HELP?

Just buy an integrated tail 100 bucks off ebay

Old 06-28-2007, 06:51 PM

Ii have looked at plenty of undertails on ebay. im not interested in one at the moment. i dont that the extra money after just buying a two bros exhaust. the wife is already peeved enough. i can get a trailer wiring harness thing for aobut 15 bucks, so its far less money, and plus i like the look of the regular tail light. thanks anyway.....anyone that can offer up help? i know i have seen this done by someone.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:09 AM

Well it's possible. Are there seperate wires running to each of the 2 bulbs in the brake light? If so you can pick up a couple fog light relays from pep boys for under 10 bucks each. You should be able to wire them into each of the turn signals sothatthe circuit is closed all the time except when the turn signals are flashing on/off...which would openthe circuiton and off momentarily. This should allow for them to both flash bright when you step on the brakes as long as the turn signal isn't on---in which case the opposite the turning direction would be flashing bright as would the other in an on/off fashion. Only problem would be it would be flashing the same red color as opposed to an integrated tail which would flash amber.

I'll try to get on here tomorrow after I sober up a bit and refamaliarize myself with wiring relays and maybe I could email you a rough MSPaint diagram or somethin--but the relays should come with a diagram that would give you a pretty good idea of what you have to do.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:31 AM

Just buy a real integrater from W.O. Wright. It is like $50 but the wiring is way easier and it has a flash feature when you apply the brakes so cars can see you better. IMO the extra cost was worth it. I tried the trailer mod before I bought the real thing and I ended up blowing fuses and having my lights messed up.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:41 AM

i know i have seen this done here before, but cant find the article. grrrr.