F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Tail Light Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 11:08 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tail Light Wiring

Hey guys,

I'm trying to get a little help with making some sense of this wiring on my rear tail lights. I already contacted support and they gave me a list of things to do and I got the running lights to work and I got the brake lights to work, I am honestly not sure though if it is the correct set up.

I will explain.

I have 2 rear lights. The outter rim LED's are the red running and brake lights. The inner circle LED's are Orange. Each light has 5 wires. Black, Gray, Red, Blue and Yellow. Here is a gif

There is 12 wires coming out the back of my bike.The 12 wires are as follows. -(If you do not have a diagram handy) right turn is blue and green, brake light is green with yellow, black with brown, green, tail light is black with brown, green with yellow and green, ledft turn is green and orange. 10 of the wires are identical to the stock wiring colors in the wiring diagram so as the setup sits it looks like the set up is stock. On the diagram there is 10 wires. My additional two are a black with a brown stripe and a green wire. I am assuming this is for the licesnse plate light, that I dont see listed on the diagram. The PO must have spliced into the back setup to add a plate light.

When I take a test light to the wires here is my results. Test light to any of the 3 black with brown stripe the light turns on constant. Test light to any of the 2 green with yellow stripe operates my brakes. That is all the test light lights up and I tried touching it to every other wire. Total there is 4 green wires, 2 black with brown, 1 orange, 1 blue and 2 green with yellow stripe.

On the stock wires, If I connect a black with brown stripe to the blue wire, on my dash the right signal lights up and stays on, it does not blink. But this tells me this is one of the turn signals? Meaning Im not sure if i am only giving a positve signal or negative signal or what. If I touch the black wire to the orange the light on my dash lights steady for the left signal. '

Now when I connect one of my rear lights I connect the red wire (out from light) to a green with a yellow stripe (stock wiring) and my brake lights work. If I connect my gray wire (out from light) to the black with brown stripe wire (stock wiring) and black wire (out from light) to a green wire (stock wiring) the running light is working.

I tried multiple ways of connecting the out from light blue and yellow wires to all of the other avail wires and I get nothing.

The support rep told me this.

wires are as follows
BLACK = BRAKE - GROUND
RED = BRAKE + POSITIVE
GRAY = RUNNING LIGHT +

SIGNALS are:

yellow = + POSITIVE
blue = - NEGATIVE
To Test the stock wiring you will need a test light tool ($10 bucks at Walmart) Or cheap quality ones can be found at dollar stores. Simply attach the alligator clip to a clean bare metal chassis ground. To test for running light wire, switch the key on so that the running lights light up. Simply test 1 wire at a time to the 3 wires that go to each brake bulb. When the handle in the test light lights up that is your running light. Mark the wire with masking tape. Next the brake light wire, simply test one of the 2 left over wires and operate the brake when the light goes on and off as you operate the brake that will be the brake wire. Mark it. By default the 3rd wire will be the ground wire.
For signals operate the signal and probe one of the 2 wires. When your test light starts the flash that is + wire by default the other is the ground - wire.

I think I am on the right track but could anyone with some wiring knowledge chime and and help me sort this confusion? What does he mean brake - brown and brake plus positive and running light plus ? Im lost lol.

Thanks in advance. I tried to be as clear as possible.

I can list the stock wiring colors if need be.

Last edited by PossibleOne; 01-18-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pimpbike LED colors:
Red goes to (Green with yellow STRIPE)
Black goes to (GROUND Green with YELLOW dots)
GRAY goes to (Black with GRAY STRIPE)
BLUE goes to (GROUND Green with YELLOW DOTS
YELLOW goes to either LIGHT BLUE or ORANGE on each

Old 01-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Welcome Crew Technician

what do you mean ground green with yellow dots though? There is no black with a grey stripe. THere is no green with yellow dots either, There is Green, and there is Green with yellow stripe and black with brown stripe, just like the diagram shows. IE The stock wiring... Are you saying take the ground and the green with yellow dot and then connect that to the black wire to the light? which is the ground?

Something has to be wrong with either my turn switch, or turn relay I am thinking. It cant be this hard. I have running light, I have brake light. Its jut the turns I am trying to figure out.

Last edited by PossibleOne; 01-19-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by PossibleF4I
what do you mean ground green with yellow dots though? There is no black with a grey stripe. THere is no green with yellow dots either, There is Green, and there is Green with yellow stripe and black with brown stripe, just like the diagram shows. IE The stock wiring... Are you saying take the ground and the green with yellow dot and then connect that to the black wire to the light? which is the ground?

Something has to be wrong with either my turn switch, or turn relay I am thinking. It cant be this hard. I have running light, I have brake light. Its jut the turns I am trying to figure out.
Yes by black and gray stripe i mean BLACK and BROWN. im colorblind?

Connect the GRAY pimpbike wire to the BLACK and BROWN one

My Ground wire is GREEN with YELLOW DOTS it is not BLACK and BROWN
That one should be connected to the BLACK WIRE

Give me some pictures or list of stock coloring if you need more help.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:21 AM
Welcome Crew Technician

Originally Posted by omg209
Yes by black and gray stripe i mean BLACK and BROWN. im colorblind?

Connect the GRAY pimpbike wire to the BLACK and BROWN one

My Ground wire is GREEN with YELLOW DOTS it is not BLACK and BROWN
That one should be connected to the BLACK WIRE

Give me some pictures or list of stock coloring if you need more help.
Ok, cool bud I appreciate it. I am going to try what you said here, and if not then I will post up some pics of the rear wires and see if we cant sort this mess a bit.

I will say that I tried to connect some front turns too and got nothing, so I am thinking that something is up with either the relay or the switch perhaps. They have never worked as far as I can tell and even remember the PO (he was a friend) telling me they didnt work for him either. The support tech told me that if someone connecteedthem up wrong that they prolly got burned out in the process.
CHeers.

-Poss

Old 01-24-2014, 05:34 PM
Welcome Crew Technician

Wanted to stop back and conclude this.

Turned out the turn signal problem was a dirty switch. Ironically the switch was the last thing I checked because I assumed it wouldnt be that stupid. So yea, lesson learned. Make sure your switches are clean.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:22 PM

noted!