How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Trailer wiring turn signal integrator

Old 03-19-2007, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer wiring turn signal integrator

This is a simple and relatively cheap project to integrate your turn signals into your tail-light. This obviously only works if you have dual bulbs with dual filaments, such as my 99 F4. Parts required:
A few feet of wire
Universal trailer wiring kit - believe I picked mine up at walmart, converts independent bulb systems to common bulb system for use on trailers
Various wiring connectors
The rest is simple just follow the wiring diagram. The diagram has color codes for a 99 F4 but should be pretty easy to decipher for use on other bikes. If you cant figure it out for your bike just send me a message and I'll try to help you out. Please check your wires with a multimeter or other testing device before you cut things. Like all things in life you do this at your own risk. If you also have inspections in your state I would not do this. Also please note that this is not near as effective as your stock signals. I realize this and accept it, resorting to hand signals during the day because it is really hard to see. I also just completed the LED peg modification that is also in this how-to section which improves visibility tremendously. I'll take some new photos tomorrow and add them to the same link, I no longer use the blue tap connectors instead connecting the wires directly, its much cleaner. Enjoy, and as always, I'm around to help, just ask.

Wiring diagram and photos can be found here: http://bcphotos.homedns.org/photos/t...s.php?album=51

Old 03-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Default RE: Trailer wiring turn signal integrator

Hi. Thanks for the post. I went and did everything that you described ( i have a 2001 F4i...the wiring was the same) and i went to put my turn signal on and both sides are blinking. Do you know what i could do to fix this?

Old 03-25-2007, 09:09 PM

HEY! nevermind that last post, i went back out to it and when i left the bike i had unplugged everything. I went and just plugged the right wires where they had to go and bingo it works now. Thank you very much for your post! Really helped me through this!!

Old 03-29-2007, 02:54 AM

Glad it was helpful.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the write up, I just finished this mod on a 94 F2, works great....

Old 05-05-2007, 06:46 PM

Awesome idea, I think I'll be performin this mod for a couple friends! I did mmine already but in a slightly different way, that actually cost a little less! I'll probably make a post about it later...

Old 05-21-2007, 10:39 PM

There is a simple way to do it as well, but this way contains all the diodes and electronics in a durable water resistant housing, so i ran with it has served well for years

Old 06-08-2007, 03:36 AM

In addition to using the amber LEDs in the rear pegs, I wired them up with a trailer converter also. Now when you turn on the signal, the taillight bulb and the LED alternate at a regular flash rate, when you hit the brakes they still alternate but at a faster rate, Makes the back of the bike really stand out when I'm turning and slowing down.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the idea... I dont understand why the instructions that were posted does not tie the tail lights into the trailer wiring kit. Obviously it is not needed but i went ahead and rant the tail lights thru it and it maked the install much cleaner. Also i got rid of all the stock plugs since i know the stock lights will never be put back on. Just food for thought...

Thanks
Again

Old 02-19-2012, 08:33 PM

I just did this mod to my F2. I first bought the Hopkins "Hoppy" trailer tail light converter which I couldn't get to work. I then saw other people had modules that consisted of the brake and one turn signal (the other turn signal had brake coming out with it) coming out of one wire on the trailer side. The "Hoppy" module that I first bought didn't have this. I wired it up and the only time it would work is if I pushed the brake in. And that is not safe! I then bought a 3 wire to 2 wire module that works! It has the brake coming out with the turn signals. I'm not sure if others do this, but when I hit the brake the turn signals have a different speed than when the brake is not pressed...I can live with it.

Just thought I'd share so someone doesn't buy the "Hoppy" module and maybe can't return it..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailer wiring turn signal integrator