F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Winter riding jacket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

or just rock out one of those
I wear the tourmaster heated jacket liner (not vest). It was like $120 and it plugs right into the bike's power. It has carbon heating elements and you can crank it up to like 178 degrees or some craziness.
It's about as light as a windbreaker type jacket and it goes on under your gear. (t-shirt, heated jacket, riding jacket)
I've ridden in freezing weather with it plenty of times... like 20miles to work.... and it's pretty dam warm. My fingers don't even get cold.
It honestly feels like hot sun is beating down on your back, chest, and arms while you're riding.
Pretty sweet.
But like pfg said... UA ColdGear is some pretty great stuff, too. I wear it at work in the winter and it's amazing. It's also great for long rides because it's seamless and also lets your skin breathe.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Spidi makes great leather jackets. The liner that comes with keeps mine warm into the 40's and theres an optional warmer zip in liner.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any jacket will do that has some layers and is windproof (northface/leather jacket combo is perfect)

It is your hand you need to keep warm!!! I could ride down to the 20s if my hands stayed warm...around 30-35 is when my hand get cold. Get a nice pair of gloves/heated gloves/some way to keep your fingers warm.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones
Any jacket will do that has some layers and is windproof (northface/leather jacket combo is perfect)

It is your hand you need to keep warm!!! I could ride down to the 20s if my hands stayed warm...around 30-35 is when my hand get cold. Get a nice pair of gloves/heated gloves/some way to keep your fingers warm.
heated grips

Old 09-15-2010, 09:11 AM

i rode all winter with my fieldsheer congo jacket got it for 110, its textile, has vents, waterproof an has a thermal liner inside, dont need the liner till its in the low 40s, i rode in the teens no problem with the jacket, legs an hands were cold though

Old 09-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones
Any jacket will do that has some layers and is windproof
I have to disagree. I can ride in 40 degree weather with just normal mechanics gloves and not have cold hands. At the same time I can wear a leather jacket, thermal undershirt and 2 sweaters and still be cold in my upper body. Now with this spidi I got last winter I can just do the jacket and thermal and be warm all day long.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:32 PM
BDT

I've been riding in the winter's for many years now, even when its below freezing sometimes. I have an Icon Motorchead Jacket. It has a removable winter liner so its great in both summer and winter. The key is a neck warmer, like the kind snowboarders use, because it'll stop wind from hitting your neck (very uncomfortable), and a heated vest. Honestly, the heated vest is one of the best things I've ever gotten. When I wear my back protector over top of it, it hugs my chest and back and is incredibly warm.

I also got some winter gloves and heated grips. Heated grips aren't necessary, but they're nice nonetheless.

When the temps are around freezing any ***** in your armor will be very noticable and uncomfortable. Think of it like an icecube on that one part of your body, so you want to cover them all up.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
I have to disagree. I can ride in 40 degree weather with just normal mechanics gloves and not have cold hands. At the same time I can wear a leather jacket, thermal undershirt and 2 sweaters and still be cold in my upper body. Now with this spidi I got last winter I can just do the jacket and thermal and be warm all day long.
You have some tough hands. At 48* this morning for my commute my whole body felt great (leather jacket, joe rocket textile pants, rocket shoes, helmet, but my hands were cold a few minutes into the ride)

You have some tough hands! I have never ridden with heated grips, I have honestly dealt with enough BS so far this year with my HIDs that I don't want heated grips...gonna try some sort of wind deflector!

Old 09-16-2010, 12:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BDT
...The key is a neck warmer, like the kind snowboarders use, because it'll stop wind from hitting your neck (very uncomfortable)...
Bingo!!! BDT is right. I wear neck warmers in the cooler weather as well. Having your neck stay warm really increases the comfort level while riding in cold winds.

I've got a lighter weight one made by *Buff*... http://www.buffwear.com/catalog/ ...& a fleece-type neck gaiter by *Turtle Fur*one for very cold weather... http://www.rei.com/product/663041 .

Another tip is to wear silk (or equivalent) glove liners. Makes the gloves that much warmer.