F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

When to shift

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to shift

IF YOU JUST WANT THE SHORT ANSWER GO DOWN TO # 3

First of all, thank you mod for saving the last thread before it got any stupider. I get sick and tired of getting asked this question by new riders and seeing it in forums so mods will you please make a sticky - something along the lines of:
If you don't know when to shift, please start on a much smaller bike, you will learn to "have to" use all those RPMS to get around. Manual transmission/dirtbike experience actually DOES go a long way.

Otherwise:
1 - TAKE THE MSF COURSE
2 - If possible drive a car with a manual transmission

#######3 : WHEN TO ACTUALLY SHIFT #################

If you want to go fast - shift at redline (yes, every gear)

If you want to go slow and save gas - shift as low as you can

If you want to ride somewhere in between, shift somewhere in between.

#############################################

Notes:
Downshifting: Be careful when downshifting too far, as you can wash out the rear.

Shifting into 1st at 100MPH is not a good idea. Be sure to try and "match" your RPMS by quickly increasing your RPMS (roll on the throttle some more) with the clutch disengaged (whilst pulling the clutch lever) when downshifting. When you downshift your RPMS WILL INCREASE, but if you suddenly force your tire to spin a lot slower than you're going, you are going to lose traction (it's like slamming on the rear brake). This usually happens if you downshift a couple gears (from low RPM to high RPM), WITHOUT REV MATCHING. If you want to learn how to do it, very slowly release the clutch at first.

When going slow: Avoid bogging
Do not shift so low as to "bog" the motor and keep in mind that if you're in 6th gear at 30 MPH, your bike will be slow as **** and you will probably not be able to quickly make an evasive maneuver if necessary. Be ready to shift at all times.

Learning all of this of course takes time. Keep in mind that if you're asking this question and you're on a sportbike, your life is probably in a lot of danger.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Valiant effort madman, but this needs to be moved over to the How To: Riding Skills section. (not F4i specific)

Old 06-13-2011, 01:27 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by madman
Keep in mind that if you're asking this question and you're on a sportbike, your life is probably in a lot of danger.
LOL funny cause its true

Old 06-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sick97SS
Valiant effort madman, but this needs to be moved over to the How To: Riding Skills section. (not F4i specific)
Yep probably, I was just on a rant..maybe somebody using the search feature or Googling will find this.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

lol you do relize that ppl DO use the search feature, then they talk crap in a thread they found thats 3yrs old. Which means in a few years someone will find this with search, post up how your an a-hole and make a complete *** out of themselfs at the same time. Can't wait!