F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Whats this buzzing? *vid inside*

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats this buzzing? *vid inside*

I just got a new (to me) '02 F4i. She is in great shape, and rides very well except for this buzzing noise. It currently has about 15,600 mi. The buzzing sounds like its coming from the engine block, but I haven't torn off the fairings to be sure. The buzzing is really only noticeable between 2.5k and 3k. This is the main reason why I thought it was something other than the CCTL. Has anyone noticed this before? Thoughts?

600f4i buzzing - YouTube

Old 08-03-2011, 08:16 PM

Sounds like the CCTL to me, mine sounds exactly the same except at 4-5k rpms so really it sounds just a bit more violent. If you've ever heard a small chain or necklaces slide off a table edge that's what I kind of think it sounds like.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kevwa451
Sounds like the CCTL to me, mine sounds exactly the same except at 4-5k rpms so really it sounds just a bit more violent. If you've ever heard a small chain or necklaces slide off a table edge that's what I kind of think it sounds like.
Thanks for the reply. I'm most likely going to change it in any case, just to be sure it is new.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Banned

Yeah doesn't sound good.... it doesnt sound like the cctl though.

Maybe the valves?

Old 08-04-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by kazspeed
Yeah doesn't sound good.... it doesnt sound like the cctl though.

Maybe the valves?
Yeah, that was my concern as well. I might take it into the shop this week just to get their opinion on it. is $350 about right for a valve adjustment?

Old 08-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kdbolt70
Yeah, that was my concern as well. I might take it into the shop this week just to get their opinion on it. is $350 about right for a valve adjustment?
Valve adjustments, especially on the f4i, are complex. It is probably one of the only things I would bring my bike to a shop for. Although, $350 is the most I have heard. I know many who pay around $200, but it all depends on where you live.

Honestly though I am not sure if it is your valves. F4i's notoriously hold their valve clearance very well. I have heard/read many people checking them after 30k miles and needed no adjustments at all. You are right below the recommended mileage to have your valves checked, but still, seems odd there would be that much noise this early in the engine.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by kazspeed
Valve adjustments, especially on the f4i, are complex. It is probably one of the only things I would bring my bike to a shop for. Although, $350 is the most I have heard. I know many who pay around $200, but it all depends on where you live.

Honestly though I am not sure if it is your valves. F4i's notoriously hold their valve clearance very well. I have heard/read many people checking them after 30k miles and needed no adjustments at all. You are right below the recommended mileage to have your valves checked, but still, seems odd there would be that much noise this early in the engine.
Yeah, I suppose I'll have to do some more digging. The other bike shop in town quoted me "about $300" for valve adjustments. Probably going to pull the fairings this weekend and narrow it down... thanks for the response!

Old 08-10-2011, 11:49 AM

So I stopped by a local honda dealer and had the service guy listen. He thought it could be the reed valve above the block. Does this make sense at all?

Old 08-10-2011, 11:54 AM

do these even have reed valves? I thought reed valves were in two strokes

Old 08-10-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by herbcbr1000f
do these even have reed valves? I thought reed valves were in two strokes
That was my thought too... but the guy insisted it could be that.

Quick Reply: Whats this buzzing? *vid inside*