CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Whats this buzzing? *vid inside* (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/whats-buzzing-vid-inside-129160/)

kdbolt70 08-03-2011 06:35 PM

Whats this buzzing? *vid inside*

I just got a new (to me) '02 F4i. She is in great shape, and rides very well except for this buzzing noise. It currently has about 15,600 mi. The buzzing sounds like its coming from the engine block, but I haven't torn off the fairings to be sure. The buzzing is really only noticeable between 2.5k and 3k. This is the main reason why I thought it was something other than the CCTL. Has anyone noticed this before? Thoughts?

600f4i buzzing - YouTube

Kevwa451 08-03-2011 08:16 PM

Sounds like the CCTL to me, mine sounds exactly the same except at 4-5k rpms so really it sounds just a bit more violent. If you've ever heard a small chain or necklaces slide off a table edge that's what I kind of think it sounds like.

kdbolt70 08-04-2011 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kevwa451 (Post 1086434)
Sounds like the CCTL to me, mine sounds exactly the same except at 4-5k rpms so really it sounds just a bit more violent. If you've ever heard a small chain or necklaces slide off a table edge that's what I kind of think it sounds like.

Thanks for the reply. I'm most likely going to change it in any case, just to be sure it is new.

kazspeed 08-04-2011 07:52 AM

Yeah doesn't sound good.... it doesnt sound like the cctl though.

Maybe the valves?

kdbolt70 08-04-2011 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by kazspeed (Post 1086572)
Yeah doesn't sound good.... it doesnt sound like the cctl though.

Maybe the valves?

Yeah, that was my concern as well. I might take it into the shop this week just to get their opinion on it. is $350 about right for a valve adjustment?

kazspeed 08-04-2011 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by kdbolt70 (Post 1086594)
Yeah, that was my concern as well. I might take it into the shop this week just to get their opinion on it. is $350 about right for a valve adjustment?

Valve adjustments, especially on the f4i, are complex. It is probably one of the only things I would bring my bike to a shop for. Although, $350 is the most I have heard. I know many who pay around $200, but it all depends on where you live.

Honestly though I am not sure if it is your valves. F4i's notoriously hold their valve clearance very well. I have heard/read many people checking them after 30k miles and needed no adjustments at all. You are right below the recommended mileage to have your valves checked, but still, seems odd there would be that much noise this early in the engine.

kdbolt70 08-04-2011 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by kazspeed (Post 1086596)
Valve adjustments, especially on the f4i, are complex. It is probably one of the only things I would bring my bike to a shop for. Although, $350 is the most I have heard. I know many who pay around $200, but it all depends on where you live.

Honestly though I am not sure if it is your valves. F4i's notoriously hold their valve clearance very well. I have heard/read many people checking them after 30k miles and needed no adjustments at all. You are right below the recommended mileage to have your valves checked, but still, seems odd there would be that much noise this early in the engine.

Yeah, I suppose I'll have to do some more digging. The other bike shop in town quoted me "about $300" for valve adjustments. Probably going to pull the fairings this weekend and narrow it down... thanks for the response!

kdbolt70 08-10-2011 11:49 AM

So I stopped by a local honda dealer and had the service guy listen. He thought it could be the reed valve above the block. Does this make sense at all?

herbcbr1000f 08-10-2011 11:54 AM

do these even have reed valves? I thought reed valves were in two strokes

kdbolt70 08-10-2011 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by herbcbr1000f (Post 1088736)
do these even have reed valves? I thought reed valves were in two strokes

That was my thought too... but the guy insisted it could be that.