F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

what kind of gas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what kind of gas?

I actually asked Tahoe (I think) what he runs at the track. He doesn't use a higher octane while racing. That speaks volumes to me. Do what you want...this is a debate that reminds me of "the chicken or the egg".

Old 07-08-2007, 03:04 AM

ORIGINAL: 65ShelbyClone
Let the ignoarance die wigth the ignorant, right?
What about the illiterate people that misspell commonly used words? How do you feel about them? Ignorance is relative by subject and the detail level involved and since many of us are unaware of everything that happens in this world makes us all ignorant. Hence, ignorance will never die.
]ORIGINAL: 65ShelbyClone
- High octane fuel will not burn "hotter." Did you know that methanol has a motor octane of about 115, yet little more than half the BTU content of gasoline? Compressed natural gas has an octane rating of about 130, but 1/4 the energy content by weight of gasoline. Pump gas has a negligible difference of energy content between the grades.
I failed to see how octane rating of alcohol and cooking gas has anything to do with the octane rating that is used for driving. Alcohol and gas not only have difference chemical structure but also they have different compositions from the gasoline; therefore, they will have different applications and results.
Also, if the difference between the grades would be negligible then what would be the purpose of manufacturing those other grades?
Im not calling you out but, Im just curious on what is your basis for your argument?

You guys can do what you wish with your bikes; there are no rights and wrongs. The ultimate test is trying it out for yourselves. I have used every grade thats available in my area (87,89,91,93) and if you are telling me that from a higher rating there should not be a difference in heat produced then I'll bust out the thermostat from my turkey and a stop watch, may be video tape show fast the bike will heat up and how long it will take for the bike to cool off.<naturally Im not going to do that.
Still, Im surprised that this tread is still growing. Most likely no one cares but I use 87 and sometimes 89.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I once tried 110 with booster and I went 440 mph. Blew the decals right off my bike.....j/k

I was told octane needed is mostlydetermined by engine compression. F4i stock engines will only waste unburned fuel with anything above the 87/89 requirement. Thiswas from a factory race Suzuki mechanic.

Anyway.....
If I can use 87/89 I'm going to.
(I'm a cheap b^$*%rd)

Old 07-08-2007, 03:48 PM

ORIGINAL: alekinci

ORIGINAL: 65ShelbyClone
Let the ignoarance die wigth the ignorant, right?
What about the illiterate people that misspell commonly used words? How do you feel about them? Ignorance is relative by subject and the detail level involved and since many of us are unaware of everything that happens in this world makes us all ignorant. Hence, ignorance will never die.
I know what I misspelled. I didn't bother correcting it because I had already been quoted by Tahoe SC when I noticed. The "ignorance" comment was in reference to his signature. It wasn't me trying to sound superior.

I failed to see how octane rating of alcohol and cooking gas has anything to do with the octane rating that is used for driving. Alcohol and gas not only have difference chemical structure but also they have different compositions from the gasoline; therefore, they will have different applications and results.
Also, if the difference between the grades would be negligible then what would be the purpose of manufacturing those other grades?
Im not calling you out but, Im just curious on what is your basis for your argument?
Like I said, octane is not related to how much actual energy can be released by burning a gallon of fuel. The octane ratings between 87, 89, and 91 are obviously different, but the caloric contents are very similar. Also, octane ratings are octane ratings regardless of what the fuel is used for. They are only used to describe a fuel's resistance to knock in an internal combustion engine.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:35 AM

voodoo...wife won't let me race...she'll only let me track it...i think canyons are out of the pix now too since the baby came.
devlzluv...using higher octane than what the bike is tuned for does NOT yield extra ponies!!!
if bike is tuned for 87, then it's 87 all the way around...

as for the higher octane = higher engine temps...i have heard it before...i have never seen the actual numbers but it does make sense. higher octane fuel should produce more heat as it has a higher flashpoint.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:08 PM

ORIGINAL: areacode312

I run 87.

The engine doesn't knock with 87.

So 89, 91, or 93 is a COMPLETE AND UTTER WASTE OF MONEY.

If your engine knocks using 87- then go up to 89.
Word...

Old 07-09-2007, 03:11 PM

psssss....shouldn't ever let your helmet touch the ashpalt...why? because that's why i was told...