CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Which kind of oil do you use

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which kind of oil do you use

Which kind of oil do you use in your CBR 1000 F ?

Old 05-22-2006, 05:20 PM
Default RE: Which kind of oil do you use

Spectro Golden 4 SAE 10W-40 Synthetic
DonĀ“t know if itĀ“s good or bad the local shop recomended it

Old 05-22-2006, 06:14 PM

That's a top of the line half synthetic (mineral mixed) if I remember right from a summary I've read earlier.

You may have noticed that some Swedish sportriders run on BILTEMA's full synthetic, it would spare some good money, but I'm not prepared to use that on the GSX R1000, but think it could be absolutely fine on the CBR which have less Hp/CC. There are more than one R1 and ZX10R owner running on BILTEMA, so it is probably totally fine also on high end engines, but there is little reason to beleive that it fully equals the latest oil incarnations from the top brands like Castrol R4 Superbike, Motul 300 V Competition/Factory Line and similar. The later types are probably overkill for most users, especially as a lot of people change oil more often than necessary to be on the safe side (nothing wrong in that of course for those willing to pay). Well, I dont have any real knowledge in myth intensive oil business, thats why I put up the poll to see what others are using and happy with.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:44 AM

I usually rn castrol GTX 20/50, or RX 10-40, I change the oil about every 2500-3000 kms, and the oil filter every other time... I think I like the castrol RX series oils best, they're not expensive as all hell, and they are designed for diesel and gas engies.. which means they clean efficiently.. the reason you need to change oil, isn't because the oil wears out, more because it gets dirty, and mostly because the additives in the oil get used up, such as the detergents

Considering the amount of riding I'm doing, (1000+ kms per week) there's not a chance i could afford to put oil in it that costs 40$ per oil change... just not happening... I think there is a lot of excessive hype about oil these days, and considering my oil costs maybe 15$ per oil change, and mobil 1 is about 40$.. I really don't think there is sufficient differance in the oil to justify it, especially if you start to delay your oil change due to the cost of the oil

Old 05-23-2006, 04:12 AM

The price of 15$ per change sounds like if you have your own oil mill in the ear of a Swede. Premium full synthetic cost about 100$ for 4 liters here. The brand Biltema, which is a low cost spare supplier here, cost 40$ for 4 litres and that is so cheap here that most people dont trust it because its less than half the normal price. The way I understand it, your way of changing oil quite often and use a well reputated oil which only cost 15$ per change, sounds perfectly fine. I dont know what the Castrol types you meantion cost here, I'll check that, they probably have a retail price of about 40$ for 4 litres. Shame we are not living in an oil producing country....

Old 05-23-2006, 04:22 AM

well, last time I saw it at a gas station, Mobil 1 was about 10-12$ for a liter (CDN), so 40-50$ for a oil change.. regular oil is about 4$ for name brand stuff... I'm not all that concerned about it.. the bike is primaily a commuter vehicle, with a few sprints when the police aren't going to be around the corner.. I didn't pay a lot for the bike, and it's not new either, so I dont' know what it's had previously either

Old 05-23-2006, 06:54 AM
October 2009 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well R1000, I donĀ“t know where you buy that premium oil at, but 100 bucks (730 SEK?) sounds like itĀ“s a jewelery shop . Do you include filter change?
I have asked for the price of Mobil 1Ā“s best motorcycle oil at "OljeTore" (Hydro Oil shop) in Mora, and my price (yes I admit, I have a discount...) is slightly over
400 SEK (~55 USD). There is always money to be made by not shopping where you refuel, gasstations are very expensive. By the way, I have taken the liberty
to add you to my "Buddy List" at sporthoj.com, I hope thatĀ“s alright? Would be nice to chat with you in our native language sometime too...

Old 05-23-2006, 07:08 AM

Yes it would be nice to hear you on SH. Premium oils like Castrol R4 and Motul 300 V competition cost about 175 SKR, or even more, in the shops. 4 litres will then do 700 SEK, which is 94 dollars. Easy to understand why all Swedes except me changes oil by the same intervals as their underwear, twice a year maximum:-) Last time I bought full synthetic Motul 300 V Factory Line I gave 540 SEK (73$) from addemoto and that was very cheap relative local shops. I know I am fooled and there is no reason for that on the thrusty CBR.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:08 AM

I use generic motorcycle oil from a national hardware chain (Canadian Tire, Motomaster). I know I get poo poo'd on by other bikers, but I do change it frequently and monitor it religiously. Works for me.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:49 PM

it must be a canadian thing eh? (using generic oil)

Quick Reply: Which kind of oil do you use