F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

and we raced....

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default and we raced....

so a long long time friend of mine has a '06 s/c'd GTO and well....the story below should tell you the rest. this is HIS POST that he wrote up on his LS1GTO forum. enjoy (i'd like to add quickly....the road we were on was dead, traffic was a good 1/4mile behind us, and all clear in front)....this is not something that is a habit.....

"So my long-time buddy from back in middle school bought a 2001 or 2002 Honda CBR F4i (600cc's) last May. After me giving him crap for the past several years about him not getting his hands on a nice, fast car he makes a statement to the affect of, "Now I have something to beat your GTO with" within a few days after purchasing the bike. Ever since we have talked smack back and forth about whose vehicle was faster, and after getting my cam and 3200 stall last summer and started to pull some good 60' times (low 1.5's) I guaranteed him that I would eat him from a stop.. just wasn't sure how long I could hold him back, but I figured with his top-end he would have me by around 130 MPH or so, and I told him that. He insisted he would have me from a stop, as well as from a roll just to continue this verbal war.

Now, the only problem was that I had been living down in Florida since January of last year, and he was still in Maryland. So I told him that once I got moved back to Md we would finally see who was faster. As time went by I started passing on videos to him of my car launching at the track or running from a roll and he started to get a little worried, but stood his ground.

Well last month I finally got moved back up here, and just got back from making a trip back down to Florida to get the GTO up here last week. A few weeks ago my friend had wiped out in the rain on his bike doing 60 mph after striking a deer, and his bike was finally put back together and ready for him yesterday. We made the 45 min drive up to Dunkirk in the GTO to take him to go get his bike. On the way back down the road we couldn't hold back and did some playing around on the highway.

It started with us pulling onto Route 4 from a gas station, with him ahead of me. He nailed it from about a 20-25 mph roll a few car lengths ahead of me, and as he did I followed suit. I followed him up to about 85 mph or so and he wasn't pulling away. Further down the road the traffic was sparse and now was the time to find out who was ultimately faster....

We slowed down to 60 MPH, I counted to 3, and we tore off down the highway. As soon as we went he instantly had about 1 bike length on me, and by the time we hit around 90 MPH he was about 1.5 or 2 bike lengths ahead but stopped pulling away. We must now be at about 110 MPH and I'm slowly reeling him in. He hits 125 MPH and shuts down just as I'm at his rear fender slowly about to pull past him. As soon as he lays off the gas I'm directly beside him slamming on my brakes to get slowed down too, just in case there is a cop ahead coming the opposite direction.

The race was a lot of fun, after 1 year of trash-talking each other. Granted he was ahead of me when he shut down, I was just about to pass him and I know it would have been my win if we kept going. We didn't know how fast we were going to race up to when we did this, but next time we'll either go from a slower roll or we'll agree to stop at 140 mph or so.... and I'll make sure to get the next race on camera. Maybe even race from a dig and see how bad I'll whoop him haha.

It was a nasty, hot day yesterday also... and both my coolant and trans temps were quite up there when we ran. I'm sure it'd be a better race in some cooler weather, but I'm still surprised that I was started to roll past him on my top end. My blower isn't designed for top end, and I was for sure that with my automatic transmission he was going to get me up top. But at 125 MPH I was actually pulling past HIM! That was great! That extra top-end that I have is surely from the custom cam that Ed Curtis designed... I told him I didn't want to be such a slouch up top and the cam has been doing great so far.

Well, my mods are in my sig. As far as my friend's mods... he has a slip-on pipe, air filter, and a basic dyno tune that his buddy did for him. Not a bad race for the blower and tranny that I have!"[/align][/align]and for those who are curious....here's his long list of mods (his last 1/4 mile run was a 11.001)[/align][/align]2005 Pontiac GTO - Torrid Red A4
Magnacharger MP112 | 2.6" Pulley Boys Blower Pulley | ECS Belt Tensioner | Flowtech Custom Blower Cam | Lingenfelter Intake
Stainless Works Headers | Random Technology Cats | Bassani Cat-back | Lingenfelter 160ยบ Thermostat | Vigilante 3200 Stall Converter
TransGo HD2 Shift Kit | Derale Atomic-Cool Trans Cooler | Hughes Performance Transmission Pan | SLP Line-lock | BMR Drag Bags

[/align]

Old 06-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Default RE: and we raced....

i'd like to add, he's not just beating awd cars on the launch and off the line.....he's CRUUUSHING them!!!

here are some pics we took yesterday afternoon of my bike and his car (and a pic w/ my g/f's F4i aswell)....

Name:  l_d2b3271f4c442e7a36fdc6fb1fbefe15.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  33.4 KB
Name:  l_8012302aade796a6555e378165bdda44.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  29.2 KB
Name:  l_08a50670d372ec71417123a0bf8e3b44.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  42.3 KB
Name:  l_5d256a21ba93d1ed3d3777046c8eb254.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  20.4 KB

Old 06-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah 1.5 60s in a GTO is leaving the hole nasty. he will eat your lunch and drink your coffee from a dig, make no mistake. with practice and no further mods you might get to launch the bike into the 1.9s - by then he's already 1/2 car ahead and moving out.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do a -1/+1 or a -1/+2 520 n run em again

Old 06-18-2008, 10:02 PM

nice story but im sure if you do some gearing and some tune ups it will be a good race

Old 06-19-2008, 03:45 AM

haha i dont really want to mess w/ my gearing. and if i did, he'd probably still run me down and catch me on the top end.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:30 AM

Hes ultimately gonna win just due to the sheer difference in dispalment between you both. A 5.7 liter corvette engine just has more to give at high speeds. I'd be perfectly happy with beating him through a majority of my powerband and still managing 45 MPG without big performance mods. I bet his car chews through gas at a disgusting rate.

Don't forget, theres always juice and turbos for bikes

Old 06-20-2008, 09:20 AM

honestly that car isnt as bad on gas as you may think! the car is SWEET though.

i told him IF we go at it again, and i see he's gaining on me...i'll turn down a side road and see if he'll keep up then

Old 06-20-2008, 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Exitwounds

Hes ultimately gonna win just due to the sheer difference in dispalment between you both. A 5.7 liter corvette engine just has more to give at high speeds.
The 2006 GTO is actually a 6.0L LS2 V8, up from the debut model's 5.7L.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:55 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Dude's got a 2005, though

I say take it to the drag strip and settle it once and for all, with numbers =)

Quick Reply: and we raced....