F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

very confused!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very confused!!!!!

ive owned my 01 cbr 600 f4i for a little over 7 months and ive never had a problem like this....ive done all my own work and never taken the time to take it to a dealership, was wondering if any one could help me with this issue.
the bike is completely stock except of a pc:
the bike will start, rev up, and shut done. however if i start it up and hold the starter switch down it will continue to run and even can be put into gear and ran down the road....everything comes on and works like normal....i dont even have a clue as to what could be wrong with it. please help!!!!

Old 05-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Default RE: very confused!!!!!

I think there are a few things that are needed to analyze the issue. First, how many miles are on the bike? Have you serviced the bike? Oil change, spark plugs, air filter? The Power cmdr you have, did you install it or have a dealership do it? What maps have you uploaded to it? Or is it still stock?

Holding the starter in, do you have to hold it the whole time you are riding down the road?

Old 05-18-2007, 11:22 PM

i bought the bike used and with the power commander on it. i bought it would a lil over 8000 miles on it and it currently has around 19000. i believe the dealershipdid the uploading, or at least that is what the previous owner told me. i have kept the bike extremely well serviced. you name it i have done it. on my own though.
yes, i have to hold the starter in while riding down the road. didnt drive very far due to worrying about burning out the starter.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:46 PM

I have not heard of an issue like that. It could be your starter that is going out? The starter spins a flywheel in a car and then creates the motion to start the engine. I think the bike has a flywheel also. So if you have to hold it in, the starter is needed to keep the engine engaged. Tahoe do you have any thoughts on this?

Old 05-18-2007, 11:53 PM

thats a bit too wild of a problem. i too have not heard of anything like this.
oh you know what, what is your idle speed? if its below 1k than you might be stalling.< just a shot in the dark.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:57 PM

i know exactly whats wrong with your bike
on your gauges do all your turn signals stay on?
does your head high beam lights stay on on your guages?

if so the pin in your front wiring harness that conects the head lights to the main harness is bad its the pin for the ground wire which is green. just to test if this is the problem pull the head light fuse and try and start the bike if it starts thats deffinetly the problem.

what i did to fix it was i use electircal contact cleaner and then electrical grease and havent had a problems since.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:54 AM

the help is greatly appreciated.... i got it fixed... turned out to be a loose connection beneath the fuel tank along with a corroded connection in the headlights....took a couple of hours but turned out to be no big deal....one thing i learned: check ur connections...twice to make sure they are good. once again thanks for the help. Safe rideing too ya

Old 05-19-2007, 02:17 AM

Good to see you can get back on the road.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:27 AM

ORIGINAL: 95camaro01f4i

i know exactly whats wrong with your bike
on your gauges do all your turn signals stay on?
does your head high beam lights stay on on your guages?

if so the pin in your front wiring harness that conects the head lights to the main harness is bad its the pin for the ground wire which is green. just to test if this is the problem pull the head light fuse and try and start the bike if it starts thats deffinetly the problem.

what i did to fix it was i use electircal contact cleaner and then electrical grease and havent had a problems since.
I thought that I was the only one with this problem. But unfortunately when I purchased the bike the PO told me about the problem but the pin had actually melted in the harness!!!! So I just had to pull another ground and tie it in there.