F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Valve clearances....

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve clearances....

So i have my bike apart for the valve adjustment. I took my measurements and all of the exhausts (from what i measured) are about at .008 (spec is .010 to .012) I am a bit worried that maybe i diddnt measure my clearances right. Most say that the F4i keeps their clearances well so it has me thinking if they are really that far off. Anyone had that many valves out of spec? The intakes have three at .065, Three at .060 and two at .070. spec is .070 to .090

Also, i did all my measurments in standard, when i get shims from a dealer will they be only in metric numbers or will they have SAE numbers also? I just want to know if i have to convert my new shim thicknesses to metric so that they can swap shims.

Should I adjust back to the maximum or is it best to set the intakes and exhausts to .080 and .011 ?

Old 03-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I shoot for the middle to high end of the specs. While it's apart you might as well check everything one more time before ordering shims. All the shims I've ordered are metric. You gotta take out what's in there and then add in the extra you need. They usually come in .025mm increments.

EDIT: O.K. that sounds confusing to me and I wrote it. Was not implying you need more than one shim per bucket. Just take the size that's there already and add in what you need to get proper clearance and get 1 new shim. You prolly already knew that

Old 03-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha, yeah i got it. I checked the clearances 3 times before i pulled the cams and I plan on re-checking the shims and doing the math that same number of times before i get the shims. I got a calculator to do conversions. I just need to look at my numbers and see what ones i should get because im sure i cant get shims for the exact numbers that i got for all my calculations. I just did my math for the top of the spec's 9 for intake and 12 for exhaust. I might bring down that number a bit for my final calculations.

Thanks for the advice. Even if people only tell you what you have already read or learned it just is re-assuring to hear it from somebody else.

After taking off the fairings, gas tank, air box, radiator, throttle bodies and valve cover the task seems much less intimidating than looking at a bike that is complete.