F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Upper Fairing wouldn't fit after plastic welding.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper Fairing wouldn't fit after plastic welding.

Hi all:
My 03 600 F4i's upper fairing cracked, so i took it off for a bit of plastic welding. But when i tried to put it back together, i find that it does not fit. Initially, i thought it might just require a bit of well place force. So i pushed and pulled and managed to secure the 3 side screws on each side. However, right now, with the sides in place, i can't get the fairing to fit into the rear view mirror screw holes on the fairing stay. I suspect that the fairing stay might be bent out of shape, but i need a second opinion b/c i don't know what a good one looks like.

I tried my hardest to force the fairing into the the screw holes without success, if i use any more force, i'm afraid that i will break the weld.
I have never installed an upper fairing on a CBR before, so i don't know if the installation should be smooth, or does it require a bit of moderate force.

Can anyone tell me, judging by the margin of error between the fairing hole and the screw mount on the fairing stay whether the fairing stay is bent or not?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Upper Fairing wouldn't fit after plastic welding.-asdfasdfasfd.jpg   Upper Fairing wouldn't fit after plastic welding.-fdsfdsfsadasdf.jpg   Upper Fairing wouldn't fit after plastic welding.-fsdfsadfasdfasf.jpg   Upper Fairing wouldn't fit after plastic welding.-asdffdfdsa.jpg  
Old 09-30-2010, 07:28 PM

its only the one side?

Old 09-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might have to bend the fairing stay a little or bend the fairing itself a bit.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by nickp123
its only the one side?
No, it's both side.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:05 AM

well if its both sides id assume that the fairing stay isnt bent and that the fairing has just been warped somehow? but in any case its only a fairing stay it has no structural value really so if you can just bend it so it fits the fairing.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by nickp123
well if its both sides id assume that the fairing stay isnt bent and that the fairing has just been warped somehow? but in any case its only a fairing stay it has no structural value really so if you can just bend it so it fits the fairing.
I never thought of it that way! Now the question is..... how do i bend it? Haha, anyone has any suggestions? Provided that i don't have a vice. Perhaps, hammer? haha...

Old 10-01-2010, 02:36 AM
Banned

Bend it with somebody holding the bike and use your palm of your hand and the weight of your body to bend it alittle upwards, it looks like??

Old 10-01-2010, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by OutlawF4
Bend it with somebody holding the bike and use your palm of your hand and the weight of your body to bend it alittle upwards, it looks like??
Yeah, that's what i was thinking as well. I don't think im strong enough to bend it though. haha... perhaps i need to hit the gym for a few months before i make the attempt.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:34 AM
Banned

You can do it, you can do it, you can do it! Say it 3 times and tap your heels at the same time. You'll get it done.lol.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by OutlawF4
You can do it, you can do it, you can do it! Say it 3 times and tap your heels at the same time. You'll get it done.lol.
I thought that would bring back to Kansas. haha...

If that works, why don't i just wish for a brand new bike?

Quick Reply: Upper Fairing wouldn't fit after plastic welding.