F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Upper Fairing wouldn't fit after plastic welding.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should also put your screen back in...that may change things even more

Old 10-05-2010, 11:55 AM

If you dont like the idea of opening the holes, you could also cut the fairing where you welded it, place it on the bike, and weld it in place. The key to it is to make sure the fairing is in the final shape you want when its finished. A free floating fairing can twist and deform into any free shape and when you heat it up, it gets worse.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by madtaz10665
If you dont like the idea of opening the holes, you could also cut the fairing where you welded it, place it on the bike, and weld it in place. The key to it is to make sure the fairing is in the final shape you want when its finished. A free floating fairing can twist and deform into any free shape and when you heat it up, it gets worse.
I wish i have saw your msg before i purchased a new fairing stay.
However, i'm almost certain that the fairing stay's bent. But, if i still can't install the fairing properly after the new fairing stay arrives.... well, you will probably find me in the FS section selling that spanking new fairing stay. LOL...

thx for the advice, i will give it a try if the new fairing stay still wouldn't produce a fit.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by xiaoxiaog
I wish i have saw your msg before i purchased a new fairing stay.
However, i'm almost certain that the fairing stay's bent. But, if i still can't install the fairing properly after the new fairing stay arrives.... well, you will probably find me in the FS section selling that spanking new fairing stay. LOL...

thx for the advice, i will give it a try if the new fairing stay still wouldn't produce a fit.
Well, you can pull the stay off, clamp it, vise grip it, or actually use a vice if you have one and try to straighten it that way. At least then its a little more solid and you can really pull and pry on it.
the problem with that, its hard to judge how much you have bent it and its easy to go too far in the other direction.

Where are you located? Is there another F4i buddy near you that you can swap and test parts with? If not, I guess the new fairing will tell you if it was the fairing or the stay.

Good Luck

Old 10-09-2010, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by madtaz10665
Well, you can pull the stay off, clamp it, vise grip it, or actually use a vice if you have one and try to straighten it that way. At least then its a little more solid and you can really pull and pry on it.
the problem with that, its hard to judge how much you have bent it and its easy to go too far in the other direction.

Where are you located? Is there another F4i buddy near you that you can swap and test parts with? If not, I guess the new fairing will tell you if it was the fairing or the stay.

Good Luck
All right, im going to bring this thread to an end now. I ordered an new upper fairing stay from ebay. And after removing the old one from the bike, i realized that it is indeed cracked. There is an inch long crack that's blocked from view by the "dashboard." I have included a few shots of the crack for any future reference. Anyway, the new fairing stay fit like a glove! Although i have to admit, even with a perfect fitting new stay, the upper fairing is a B#$ch to install!!!!! haha... but, im just glad now my bike's back in one piece. I think i shall name my bike "scar face" from now on, that plastic weld is an eye sore, but i lack the financial resource to repaint it.

Again, just want to thank everyone who contirbuted to this thread, wouldn't have done it w/o your help!!!

Happy riding!!!

Attached Thumbnails Upper Fairing wouldn't fit after plastic welding.-dfsdfasdfasdf.jpg   Upper Fairing wouldn't fit after plastic welding.-fdfasdfasdfasdf.jpg  
Old 10-09-2010, 04:19 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a sticker to cover that pesky crack. Glad ya got it worked out bro!