F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Undertail Install Question

Old 10-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Default Undertail Install Question

I am installing a hotbodies undertail on a 2003 sub frame. The Hotbodies directions are pretty crappie and vague! Did you guys just cut off the mud flap ONLY or did you also cut off the tabs running down both sides of the battery tray also? It looks like the crappie directions say to cut off the tabs running down both sides of the battery tray, I just want to make sure before cutting!

Thanks guys

Old 10-08-2011, 08:45 PM

Are you using these instructions or other?... http://www.hotbodiesracing.com/installdocs/46.pdf

Old 10-08-2011, 08:50 PM

Yes, I am using these. See the dotted line going down the side would indicate to me to cut off the battery tray tabs. If I do that it would seem to me that the only thing giving the undertail any support would be when you mount it to the body. I just want to make sure I am installing-reading the directions clearly. Thanks a lot for the quick reply!

Old 10-08-2011, 09:08 PM

You're not cutting off the rear subframe mounting screw holes from the battery tray. You do not want to cut those mounting points off. The factory screws attach at each inner corner. Those keep the battery tray secured to the subframe. You can see this in pics 1 & 2.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:38 PM

I think we are talking about two different mounting points. I understand you do not cut off the rear top holes that have the aluminum spacers that go inside to mount the rear of the battery tray. I am talking about the plastic tabs with a hole in them that mount to the bottom of the body. The tabs run across the bottom of the battery tray. There is a picture of a tab with a hole in it in picture #10 or 40 in your split seat conversion. That is what I am trying to figure out if the hotbodies instructions are telling me to cut off. I will give hotbodies a call this week if needed to make sure what I should be cutting. Thanks again!

Old 10-08-2011, 10:27 PM

Sorry I didn't clarify further... Basically your question is two questions...1) is there enough support of battery tray w/ side mounting points cut away? & 2) are the side mounting points actually supposed to be cut away?

My explanation about the rear corner mounting points was to answer your question about whether or not there's enough "support" of the battery tray. ;-) Those corners + the front snapping down onto the subframe crossbar, are more than enough to support the battery tray.

To further clarify about the side mounting points... The Hotbodies instructions indicate that the side mounting tabs are supposed to be cut away such that the undertail can be installed & mounted at the same location as the stock battery tray side tabs. I could be wrong on this but that's what the instructions indicate. Helping install one of these before, the side tabs were cut away & everything fit nice & flush, no problems. Anyway... I agree that their instructions are poor & leave a lot of room for improvement.

Since I installed a CompetitionWerkes FE instead of a complete undertail like you're doing, my side tabs remained...whereas you'll have an lengthy undertail installed in that area.

Nothing wrong w/ verifying this w/a call though, as you said. As the saying goes - "trust but verify". ;-) That way you can - "measure twice & cut once". :-)

Good luck for a easy install.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Talking

Thanks! That is exactly what I thought, cut the bottom tabs off. I appreciate your help very much. I used your tutorial you do the split seat conversion. While I was doing the conversion I decided to do the hotbodies undertail, front flush mounts and I also bought a shark skin solo rear cowl. I am just starting on the undertail and rear cowl fitment. You have been a great deal of help to me along the way! I am puting the body together and taking it back apart for paint. It should be really nice when done. I figure I will get it finished just about time to put it up for winter.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:10 PM

You are very welcome! Glad I could help.

Look forward to seeing pics of your bike completed.