F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

undertail install help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 03:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default undertail install help

I bought a pimpbike undertail for my 2003 F4i, as well as a clear alternatives integrated tail. I used the tutorial cbrworld.net for a Hotbodies undertail install. There are very few differences, but I've run into a couple problems:

1) They didn't include any sort of taillight mounting bracket with the kit. Apparently this bracket comes with some of the other kits, but I don't have one and I can't locate one anywhere. The tail light is just sort of sitting there in the undertail now, but it moves around obviously because it's not held in place by anything.

2) There's no sort of license plate mounting bracket either. Should I just screw the license plate directly into the undertail? Or do I find a bracket, screw that into the undertail, and screw the plate onto that?

3) For the Clear Alternatives tail, I can't get the turn signals to work when I wire them up(I test them on all four wires, and none activate the turn signal). I'm assuming this is because I need to use the resistors included. Before I try them though, I wanted to make sure this is how you do it: wire the yellow wire on the integrated tail to the resistor, then wire the resistor to the stock signal wiring. This seems the logical way to do it, but the instructions tell me to wire it "parallel" to the existing wiring. Just sort of confusing.

I've gotten all the hard work done, I think. There are just a few small things left to do. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:22 AM
Default RE: undertail install help

I would call pimbike and ask them what to do about not have a taillight mounting bracket kit and the license plate mount. For the clear alternatives taillight resistors won't make it work. All they do is slow down the flash rate. The wiring must be wrong.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:40 PM

call pimpbikes, mount your own plate, check your wiring

Old 03-12-2007, 03:28 PM

Called Pimpbike..the guy said they include a mounting plate with every kit and that I must have just thrown it out. I don't know how I could have missed that but oh well, ordered a new one.

I don't know how the wiring can be wrong. There's four stock wires and two wires in the integrated tail. With the turn signal on, I will connect one of the yellow tail wires to each of the four stock wires to see which one will make it actually work, and none do, for either turn signal.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:59 PM

Do you have stock front signals and i was trying to run 4 led flushmounts on my bike and they wouldnt work until i put the resistors on i needed 3 of them so try the resistors.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:17 AM

As I expected, the resistors got it to work. I fabricated my own license plate bracket, and ghetto rigged the taillight to stay in place until my taillight mounting bracket comes in from pimpbike. Overall, I'm sort of unimpressed with pimpbike and it made me spend a lot more time than I expected.