F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

01 F4i undertail Install Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 F4i undertail Install Help!!

I have an 01 600f4i and just recieved a untertail kit from bestem. I removed the whole rear fender and all that it requires ( fuel tank, rear cowl seat, battery, ecm, etc...). I removed the whole rear fender assembly, but it holds the battery and ecm. I have stopped at this point because I get the feeling that part was supposed to stay there. The undertail kit I have is a fiberglass piece that fits on the rear cowl. The holes are off a little, but im sure some modification will be required. I have seen the 04 f4i installation instruction, but they dont apply to my bike.

Thanks for any help on how to install this!!

Old 01-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Default RE: 01 F4i undertail Install Help!!

Hello redwhitecbr, welcome to the forum. You are in the right place for help. Lots of experience on this forum. The undertail subassembly that you have to remove is the whole entire part that holds your battery. So you have to take the battery out. And cut that black assembly, the only part your going to keep is the part that holds your battery and a little bit that goes to the rear. Then your undertail is going to go on and make sure that it overlaps the battery box area that you cut. Some of your holes may not line up, that is where you will have to drill new holes for you screws.

If you take pictures and post them we can see where your at and what you need help with. Photobucket is a good place to host them to putting them online.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Default RE: 01 F4i undertail Install Help!!

Redwhite, sounds like your running a chop shop. You may not have needed to take all those parts off just for this install but I dont know what kind of undertail you bought. Try doing a search here for some past posts on this subject. Ive got plenty of photos in there I think.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:03 AM

I actually bought this same kit... did you ever get it on? I have it sitting on my bed right now afraid to cut... just got my baby one week ago lol. Any pointers/guides?

Old 06-04-2010, 02:53 PM

Check the how-to section.
this recent post has some quick picks of where the cut will be. *note this is just for an idea of where you'll be cutting.
and did I mention check the how-to section

Old 06-05-2010, 09:51 AM

Thanks bro.. yep checked the howto section... went through every page.. but no dice. I wish there was a definitive guide.. or a video! Would be nice. It sucks that the manufacturer doesn't send directions with their kits.. I mean, come on.. do they expect us to be autobody pros? Damn girl!

Old 06-05-2010, 02:01 PM

take some pictures like Stephens said. you should not have to take the gas tank off to put on an undertail

Old 06-05-2010, 05:24 PM

I have that one on my 01 and i never took the whole battery box out. i just cut it back enough to get the end of the undertail to tuck under like its supposed to. i can take some measurements when i get home and maybe a pic or two to help you guys out!

Old 06-06-2010, 12:53 PM

That'd be great Mr. Graves.. looking forward to the specs.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:57 PM

basically you just need to cut about a half inch from the tool holder but make sure you cut back to where the stock undertail bolts on, it will basically look like tabs you should be able to just take the bolts out and pull the stock one down a bit and just cut the flap off and around the bolts. i attached two pics so hopefully they uploaded! good luck

Attached Thumbnails  01 F4i undertail Install Help!!-p6060671.jpg    01 F4i undertail Install Help!!-p6060670.jpg  

Quick Reply: 01 F4i undertail Install Help!!