F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

turn signal switch and parts/fairing questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signal switch and parts/fairing questions

So the turn signal switch on the hand bars (left side) is extremely stiff. Very difficult to enable left, right, and turning off the signals. Is there a way to clean them? Or is it just better to replace it? I was on ebay and they go for about $60 shipped. Seems a bit steep for something so simple.

On a different topic, I'm still debating what to do about fairings. Since the seat and front fairings are cracked, I'm debating order those two parts from auctmart. My only concern is it'll be obvious and stand out to the point that it's ugly. Has anyone tried ordering an individual part from these aftermarket companies and using them on your bike?

Lastly, I'm thinking about overall maintenance, I know a bunch of sites, but do people have recommendations for specific parts? I'm thinking of clutch kits, cables, spark plugs, oils (either fork or motor oil), filters (K&N seem to be the most popular), and anything else you guys can recommend, would be great!

Thanks!

(For those that complain about reposts, I'll simply say that yes I've done my research, but as time comes and goes people like to see these sort of things closer to the top, and I'm hoping to get newer and fresher feedback.)

Old 02-15-2011, 03:41 PM

stiff to move the switch? Yea, just spray some white lithium grease all up in there, and work it in...it should help quite a bit!

Old 02-16-2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by redzintimidator
stiff to move the switch? Yea, just spray some white lithium grease all up in there, and work it in...it should help quite a bit!
Sweet, never heard of that to be honest, but i'll look for it. Anyone else want to have a say on the fairings part, or anything else?

Thanks!

Old 02-16-2011, 06:58 PM

My turn signal switch is really stiff too. Wouldn't WD-40 do the trick also?

Old 02-16-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by AnthonyTxL
My turn signal switch is really stiff too. Wouldn't WD-40 do the trick also?
I had the same problem on my F3. I tried WD40 and it helped for about 3 days. Ended up doing the WLG and it was fine after that.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not trying to hijack... but my turn signal switch isnt tough to move, but putting the switch to one side (I think the right) and it has a delay before the light starts to blink.. this only happens in the cold weather.. I have read that you can take it apart to clean it as there might be some type of junk in it impeding the flow of electricity... any truth to that? Will white lithium help at all there? Do I have to remove the switch and spray electric cleaner in it? Any ideas? I know that once it becomes warm again it probably wont be an issue...

thanks

Old 02-17-2011, 03:42 AM

I recently bought a turn signal switch off ebay. find one you like and just email the seller. I said, " $25.00 shipped, paypal ready, LMK " and they usually wanna move there parts fast so i lucked out and they said ok. you can try that if cleaning the switch dosnt work out.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:49 AM

Yea i'll try the WLG thing first, if not i guess i'll be ebaying it, but that's a risk sometimes. NEver know if the one you're getting is any better, and it's not like mine doesn't work, just is still.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:21 AM

turb - WLG Wouldnt help in your case. You should take it apart and clean the contacts with brake cleaner,and then to protect the contacts from junk, try some dielectric grease