F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Trying to revive a neglected F4i

Old 07-20-2016, 05:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to revive a neglected F4i

I was fortunate enough to be given a 2003 F4i that is in decent shape. It's been sitting for a few years and needs several things replaced. I have two questions.

1: What is the cheapest battery I can get? Or, is there a way to jump the bike without a battery? I don't want to get a nice battery because I'm not thinking I'll have the bike ready to go for a long time still. I really just need a way to test all of the electronics on the bike.

2: While I'm cleaning the tank, is it possible to use a temporary tank to confirm that the bike starts and runs? Would it work to submerge the fuel pump in a container filled with gas? I want to make sure the bike runs before I start putting money into it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheapest battery I would think is the WalMart 5LBS, I think its called. The Honda 08+ CBR 1000rr uses a scooter battery & this is the WalMart replacement for the scooter. I wouldnt jump the bike without a battery, taking a chance of burning something up. I would siphon out the old gas, dump in some fresh, slosh it around, siphon it out, so on and so forth, until you are happy.
How many miles on the bike? Is it in decent shape? Did the previous owner tell you that it did or didnt run?

Old 07-20-2016, 11:32 AM

I've already removed the fairings and tank and started cleaning it. I'm hesitant to do much more work on the tank before I know it runs because I'm trying to be very cost effective on this build. That's why I was wondering if it's possible to just hook up the fuel lines to the fuel pump and put it is a container with gas. This would strictly be for testing purposes and I would only run the bike for a brief period of time.

The previous owner didn't tell me much about the bike. He was in his late thirties and had let the bike sit for a few years and just didn't want to deal with it anymore. So he gave it to me. It's a 2003 and it only has 7000 miles on it. It needs new tires, the tank needs to be cleaned and sealed, and a new chain for sure. The rest is mostly cosmetic. The seat is ripped and the fairings are scratched but I don't see any scratches on the frame or engine parts/cases so I'm not sure if it's been dropped. He also couldn't find the title so I'll have to do a frame swap to make it legal again.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:52 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

You could put the pump in a bucket of gas, in theory. The fuel lines and connectors are not very long, so you may run into difficulty there.

I would sort out the title issue before you do anything to it. He could apply for a lost title then transfer it to you. I hope that you didn't hand him any money without the title in hand... Seen it way too often that it comes up stolen and the last party always loses.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:24 PM

The bike was free so no money ever got exchanged. I'm planning on just getting a new frame with paperwork and swapping it for the current frame. Even with the cost of a new frame I should be ending with a nice bike for very little money.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What if, What if, you made the bike a TRACK ONLY bike. Now there's an idea. Now you wouldnt need to do the frame swap, insurance, license, taxes etc. If there was a track not to far from you that is.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:09 PM

There is no track near me and I would like to ride this bike on the road (legally)

Old 08-07-2016, 01:02 PM

dude buy a battery on eBay i got mine for 36 bucks brand mightymax i think i love it and works perfect for me

Old 08-08-2016, 05:43 AM

Turns out I had a battery for something else that was the right size. It took a little bit to set everything up since the bike is mostly apart but I did get it to fire up! Now that I know it's running it's time to move forward with fixing or replacing pretty much everything on the bike.