CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Another neglected F3, not wanting to turn over.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another neglected F3, not wanting to turn over.

So I have scoured the forum for some insight. Not coming up with anything to help fix my problem. I had been riding the bike everyday for 2+ years. I got a new bike and let the f3 sit for 4+ months. I had it running the other day and burnt out the old fuel that was in it and replace it with new, and K100 stabilizer as per the instructions. Now I can't seem to get her fired up again. I've exhausted most of my options aside from taking it to the shop and having the carbs pulled and cleaned. I've charged the battery two or three times already. Checked fuel lines, fuel pump, filters and plugs. I've also tried starting it with the tank open and with starter fluid and made sure the choke was in fact operating. Another thing, my step-dad had been fiddling with the idle adjuster the other day when he was cranking on it. Not sure how I can back it off enough to a "default" so that I can adjust it later after I get it firing up with the help of the choke. I'm getting ready to sell this bike as bike week is here in Daytona where I live and I'm sure I can get it sold for a decent price while everyone is in town. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:17 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It didn't "pop" on starter fluid?

If not, then it's ignition related...

Old 03-10-2015, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice
It didn't "pop" on starter fluid?

If not, then it's ignition related...
It has backfired several times while trying to get her fired up.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

As it pertains to the idler adjustment ****, if you screw it in all the way clockwise, that is maximum. It should start and rev to about 7-8k instantly. Be very careful of turning it too much counterclockwise. There is no stop on it and you can actually unscrew it from the carb. When that happens, you will have an early Easter Egg hunt on your hands looking for the washer. It's usually somewhere under the starter. Don't ask me how I know that little factoid.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
As it pertains to the idler adjustment ****, if you screw it in all the way clockwise, that is maximum. It should start and rev to about 7-8k instantly. Be very careful of turning it too much counterclockwise. There is no stop on it and you can actually unscrew it from the carb. When that happens, you will have an early Easter Egg hunt on your hands looking for the washer. It's usually somewhere under the starter. Don't ask me how I know that little factoid.
unfortunately, I know this all too well.. So you're saying I should turn it all the way in and get it started up that way and just adjust it back off to 1200 rpm?

Old 03-10-2015, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by removebeforeflight
unfortunately, I know this all too well.. So you're saying I should turn it all the way in and get it started up that way and just adjust it back off to 1200 rpm?
It won't hurt anything as long as you are at the ready to start backing it off if it starts. But you may want to turn it in all the way, then back it off about a half a turn.
Make sure your battery has a full charge too. Just because it turns over the starter doesn't mean it has enough oomph left over to properly charge the coils.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
It won't hurt anything as long as you are at the ready to start backing it off if it starts. But you may want to turn it in all the way, then back it off about a half a turn.
Make sure your battery has a full charge too. Just because it turns over the starter doesn't mean it has enough oomph left over to properly charge the coils.

*update

Tried to get her fired up when I got off of work turned the idle adjuster all the way in, no luck. Only cranked it twice. Once without choke and another with. For now I'll pop a charge on it and check it out in the morning. The last time I got it running was a bit of a hassle, but it was also cold out. I ran some k100 through the fuel system and it smogged out a bunch of crap but was soon running nice and strong like it was before she took her recent hibernation. Hoping after the charge and some finesse with or without starter fluid I'll get her cranked up and take it out for a stroll to burn any trace of old gas that may be left over. I really don't want to pull the carbs and bring them to be cleaned up. Nor do I want to pay the $250 my mechanic charges to do a "carb job" (disassemble/clean/sync). I suppose I learned my lesson of leaving gas in a carbed bike for any period of time.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

As an FYI, before I left for work today, I checked my idler adjustment ****. It is 2.5-2.75 turns out after being screwed in 100%.
Keep in mind that is just a basic rule of thumb to follow as no 2 bikes are identical. Also, my bike is 100% stock.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the tip. My bike is not at all stock. Solenoids bypassed and removed, streetfighter, full Vince and Hines. The air filter is getting pretty old, I am going to try to get it started with the airbox top off tomorrow, with a fuel line extension. I'm hoping this will all work out for me. I wish there was a "foolproof" way to get this bike started even with dirty carbs or whatever the case may be so I could at least get it to the shop. I honestly don't want to get too far under the airbox again. It's a true pain in the *** for me to seat the boots correctly on the manifold. I end up very aggravated every time.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Busted-up knuckles and cussing is all part of it, sometimes, good luck. Maybe try to at least drain the bowls - and get fresh gas in there.

Off topic, because of your name, you don't by chance have a bandit xxr helmet, do you?

Quick Reply: Another neglected F3, not wanting to turn over.