F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

trying to buy a bike for my boyfriend need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying to buy a bike for my boyfriend need help

I am needing all the help i can get. I want to buy my boyfriend a honda CBR 600 for our anniversary. I see that there are two different types a 600 and then a 600 F4I. What is the difference? Any suggestion on what is considered a high milage bike, what should i be looking for? I am looking around 2001-2002 since it is his first bike and unexperinced. All the help you anyone can give so i don't make a bad purchase would be greatly apprecaite look at two right now one is 2001 CBR F4i with 13000 miles for $4000, another is a 2000 600 F4i with 7000 miles for $4300, and then a 2001 CBR F4I with 20,000 miles for $3,999.00 BY THE WAY THANK YOU!!!!

Old 02-11-2008, 12:22 AM
Default RE: trying to buy a bike for my boyfriend need help

a sportbike for an anniverary? Dude lucked out! (just thought i would toss that in first off.)

Those seem kind of pricy for the year/ milage. And i would probably go with the F4I for the first bike. easier to learn on, and insurance wont murder you. (but if you are married maybe thats not a problem?) a 600RR wouldnt be a bad starter..i think they are lighter and a for me they ride different. i feel more stable on my F4I.

price wise.. i bought my 2003 F4I with 10k miles on it for 4,000. honestly you can probably find a better deal thn the 01. make sure you check the fork seals and the CCT(cam chain tensioner) as they tend to have problems with that. what you look for in those kind of things are (fork seals) green nasty stuff on the forks/ dripping on to the front brake. (CCT) let the bike warm up..and rev it a little (if your not riding it and surprising him that is) and listen to what sounds like a loose chain ratteling around inside the bike..i had this problem and it took me ahwhile to fix and it got pretty spendy..

im not much help really. but alot of the members here are more experienced. take there advice!

Old 02-11-2008, 01:06 AM

yeah i would have to say those are a bit pricey! i would probably suggest maybe $3500 at most for the first choice. i'm not sure about the 2nd one, cuz (anyone) correct me if i'm wrong but i dont believe there is an f4i model in 2000. i believe they are just the f4 (from 99-00). the 3rd one is just pretty dayam high for 20k miles. the thing must be in dealership quality to be offered for that price. i would say the most recent among the 600cc of hondas are the 600RR, 600f4i, and the 600 f4 (the "i" in f4i means fuel "injected", hence better gas mileage and all the perks that come w/ fuel injected vehicles)

some things you can consider about a bike before buying it:
1. the mods that are on it (tells you alot about the previous owner)
2. rattle upon startup or on overrun (could be a faulty CCT, or cam chain tensioner), could easily be fixed
3. misfires while idle/running (can be caused by loose fitted HT caps)

other than the normal wear and tear and cosmetic damage, those are some of the main things to check out... hope that helps!!!

Old 02-11-2008, 02:50 AM

yes, there is no 2000 f4i, it was the f4.

i wouldn't pay more than 3500 for a f4i. and high mileage on a honda is 50,000+ imo. these things run forever and are built like tanks. there are a few general issues w/ every f4i, but they're minor. the main thing i'd be concerned with is bent frame/forks from a crash. i also look for clean factory plastics and signs of good maintenance (chain condition, cleanliness, oil level, etc)

my f4i's been through hell and back and it has no signs of wearing down in the least.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:56 AM
Banned

since it is his first bike and unexperinced
Get him a Ninja 250.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

since it is his first bike and unexperinced
Get him a Ninja 250.
lol fryer ur wrong, he'll be alright with a f4i but ya liek everyone else said dont spend anymore than 3500, just look around and dont rush cuz we all know when we rush bad things happen. ask one of his friends if they ride to go check out the bikes with you and see if they can ride them to see if anythign is messed up on it.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:26 PM

yea there are two types of CBR 600's, the F4i (from 2001-2006) and the RR (from 2003-now)
i would go with a F4i, probably betwen 01-03 because they have a two peice seat, which most people like.
those did sound kind of pricey, but i wouldnt say no higher than 3500... i payed 3900 for mine, so i would look at the overall condition of the bike and if its really nice at least be willing to go a little over 3500.

but yea this is my first bike also and ive got out on it a couple times and i think it isa great bike, for starters or for experienced riders.

good luck with the search!

also, dont rush it. ive done research on cbrs since May, and i started seriously looking for one a little over a month ago. if your anniversary is close, and you dont find one you feel good about, just tell him and let him be a part of the process... like i said i researched for a long time, then after i had my money it took me about a month to find a deal that i felt good about, so if you tell him, he can begin researching and looking at what he likes. i know ifanyone was to get me a bike, i would kinda want to pick it out, but thats just my opinion.