trying to buy a bike for my boyfriend need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying to buy a bike for my boyfriend need help

I am needing all the help i can get. I want to buy my boyfriend a honda CBR 600 as a suprise for our anniversary. I see that there are two different types a 600rr and then a 600 F4I. What is the difference? Any suggestion on what is considered a high milage bike, what should i be looking for? I am looking around 2001-2002 since it is his first bike and unexperinced. All the help you anyone can give so i don't make a bad purchase would be greatly apprecaite look at two right now one is 2001 CBR F4i with 13000 miles for $4000, another is a 2000 600 F4i with 7000 miles for $4300, and then a 2001 CBR F4I with 20,000 miles for $3,999.00 BY THE WAY THANK YOU!!!!

Old 02-11-2008, 01:06 AM
Default RE: trying to buy a bike for my boyfriend need help

First off that is one lucky *** guy. Im gonna show my gf this thread and see if I cant get me a new bike. Anyways all of those look like reasonable prices, if you are looking for a 2001-2002 you are gonna have to go with the F4i the RR were not in production till 2003. The difference between them varies on your personal preference. Both very aggressive bikes Im sure there are some others here with better insight on the differences. As for high miles, the bikes can last forever if properly maintained. Make sure you go look at the bike and ask a bunch of questions

Old 02-11-2008, 06:07 AM

The F4i is more of a sport touring bike while still being very capable where as the RR is pure sport. By sport touring I mean the F4i has a little bit more of a sitting up position that makes it more comfortable for a longer ride where as the RR... well... not so much. As far as things to look for check for scratches or gouges on either side of the engine covers because these will indicate of the cike has gone down or not and whether it was moving or stationary. Just make sure you inspect anything that the seller says is "brand new" and obviouslt the first bike I would be interested in would be the lowest mileage.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:53 AM

First off,

Welcome to the forum!

Second,

Your boyfriend is one lucky guy.

Being that he isa new/unexperienced rider both bikes are going to be pretty aggressive for him. I would avoid the RRs at all cost. They didn't start making the RRs til '03 anyways.

The F4i's are great bikes too. And stated previously, more of a sport touring bike but still very capable. I would recommend the F4i's between the 2 you have listed.

Here's a post I found about buying a used bike:

OP: shraz
"1st - don't buy a salvage bike which will substract alot of possible problems
2nd - don't buy one with too many scratches on the fairing and frame
3rd - If you have a friend who knows something about a bike get him on board to check the bike with you. Let him test ride it.
4th - Here the engine run. Look at the idle if it doesn't jumps around.
5th - Check to make sure the headlights (high/low) work. Make sure the turn signals work, make very sure that the oil pressure light comes on when you turn on the ignition, and goes out when the engine starts! Make sure the neutral indicator light works. Make sure the starter works. Make sure the brake levers light up the brake light. Make sure the horn works.
6th - look at the color of brake fluid needs to be somewhat lighter than honey
7th - move the bike in neutral and apply the brakes.

Good questions to ask seller:

Has the bike ever been down?
If the seller says, "no," but you see evidence of crash damage, ask the seller to explain.
Has the bike ever been raced?
If the seller says, "no," but you see safety wire, tires with ragged edges, aftermarket case guards, etc., there better be a good explanation.
When was the oil last changed?
Street bike oil should be changed at least every 3000-5000 miles or six months, whichever comes first.
What is the maintenance history of the bike?
Is the bike overdue for regular servicing, like a valve adjustment, a carb sync, etc? (If the owner hasn't lost the bike's owner's manual, open it up and look at the maintenance schedule to see if it was followed properly.)
How old (years & miles) are the tires? Ask the seller if he thinks the tires are good.
What modifications were made to the bike?
Heavily-modified bikes should probably be avoided.
Why are you selling the bike?
Is there anything wrong with this bike?
Is there anything wrong with it that you haven't pointed out?
Are there any maintenance/safety issues that I should be aware of if I buy this bike?
What work would you do on the bike if you were going to keep it for another year or two?
Is there any reason I shouldn't buy this bike?
Sometimes the simple act of asking these questions in a very blunt manner will get the seller to reveal things that they didn't think of -- or didn't plan on mentioning. "

And something I can add to this. When going to look at the bike for inspection. Make sure that you request the bike to be completely Cold (not recently started) and you want to be there to see it start up.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:13 PM

Im guessing your in Florida lol. You should try and have someone from the forum go with you to check the bikes out. Im sure there plenty of guys nice enough to do that.

But yea other then that an f4i is a great bike to learn on even though everyone says not to learn on a 600. i did and im only 130lbs haha. Im with crash on that one hes got it all down

Old 02-11-2008, 01:31 PM

An '01-'02 F4i would be the way to go...1st because they are fuel injected; 2nd because they don't have that gay/ugly *** banana seat; 3rd because they are still Honda's!!

I learned to ride on an '01 F4i that had a crash cage...this is the way to go. The crash cage will protect the vital parts of the bike in case he lays it down.

First, make sure he takes a basic rider course class...this will teach him all the basic's of owning/riding a bike.

Crash's post has lots of good advice also...

PS - Do you have any single sisters? [8D]

Old 02-11-2008, 01:42 PM

You can either buy him gear and let him buy the bike or you can buy the bike and make sure he buys gear. Im surprised no ones mentioned that yet

Old 02-11-2008, 02:33 PM

Most def get him a Snell approved helmet...Shoei or Arai brands...top of the line Shoei helmets can be had on Ebay for about $350, msrp $500+.

I learned to ride by putting on jeans and sweatshirts, but always wear the helmet!!!!

Old 02-11-2008, 03:43 PM

+10000 on Gear! ... Dress for the crash not the ride! ..A smart rider will Invest close to $1k - 2K for gear.(Rider and Bike Combined).

Rider Protection
~Helmet
~Boots
~Riding Pants
~Gloves
~Back Brace
~Leather Jacket

Bike Protection
~Frame Sliders
~Axle Sliders
~Swing Arm Spools
~Bar Ends

And for many reasons such as safety, insurance savings, knowledge, and the M endorsement; Have him register at the local MSF course and complete it successfullybefore he takes the bike out on main streets.

Thanksbluej/jfunk for adding that information!!

Old 02-11-2008, 04:02 PM

i have owned a 99F4 01 F4i and a 04600RR.. the sitting positions were too similar to tell a difference on a long ride.. go with the RR if you can find a good deal, if not no worries a F4i will be just fine.

Quick Reply: trying to buy a bike for my boyfriend need help