F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Track Set-up? What do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Set-up? What do you have?

Just finished my first track day yesterday at NJMP, and wow! The only track parts i have are track fairings (courtesy of the seller), so i was running a fairly stock F4i. Didn't see many F4i's, but definitely saw a few. I'm contemplating what i should do build wise to my F4i to make it more track suitable. I was thinking rear-sets because i definitely scraped my pegs, which sucks, and i wish my footing position was further back so i could get my knee out easier. Suspension is basically one they stress as being the most important. Anyone do anything in this dept? Maybe pop on RR forks? I can't really imagen what else besides suspension, and rear sets, but the bike handles great on the track, really loving my bike.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on your first track day!

Yes, suspension set-up is important. Have it professionally set up. The tech will work w/ you to make sure the bike's handling is optimal for you & your riding style. F4i forks are more than suitable for track days. Your rear shock will suffice for track day needs as well. The suspension tech will only recommend rebuild or replacement of components if they are too worn & unable to take adjustments.

Rear set risers or new race-type adjustable rear sets are definitely a positive for track techniques. As you noticed w/ the stock sets, you scraped peg. W/ higher/adjustable rear sets, you can tune your riding position for more aggressive riding stance & get lower in the corners.

Do you still have the oem exhaust? Even just replacing the can for a lighter weight performance pipe will lower weight by a great deal. Of course, a complete system will enhance performance & be even lighter.

Of course, quality tires on the track will allow the grip, turn, & control you need.

Track days are dif than racing. If you were planning to race, that opens up other requirements & modification needs. Racing has its own set of requirements for bikes; like mandatory safety wiring, race-only bodywork, etc. For racing, you want your bike to be as light as possible w/ as much power gains as possible. Lighter wheels, track only tires, losing the battery, performance engine upgrades, etc.

For track days, modest mods can enhance the fun w/o breaking the bank. ;-)

Old 04-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Congrats on your first track day!

Yes, suspension set-up is important. Have it professionally set up. The tech will work w/ you to make sure the bike's handling is optimal for you & your riding style. F4i forks are more than suitable for track days. Your rear shock will suffice for track day needs as well. The suspension tech will only recommend rebuild or replacement of components if they are too worn & unable to take adjustments.

Rear set risers or new race-type adjustable rear sets are definitely a positive for track techniques. As you noticed w/ the stock sets, you scraped peg. W/ higher/adjustable rear sets, you can tune your riding position for more aggressive riding stance & get lower in the corners.

Do you still have the oem exhaust? Even just replacing the can for a lighter weight performance pipe will lower weight by a great deal. Of course, a complete system will enhance performance & be even lighter.

Of course, quality tires on the track will allow the grip, turn, & control you need.

Track days are dif than racing. If you were planning to race, that opens up other requirements & modification needs. Racing has its own set of requirements for bikes; like mandatory safety wiring, race-only bodywork, etc. For racing, you want your bike to be as light as possible w/ as much power gains as possible. Lighter wheels, track only tires, losing the battery, performance engine upgrades, etc.

For track days, modest mods can enhance the fun w/o breaking the bank. ;-)
Excellent and thanks! I'm fairly set then. I have an aftermarket exhaust can (Yoshimura RS-3), which has a fantastic sound. I also have really good pirelli's that are for street and track. Like i mentioned earlier, i have the track fairings, so i'm basically taking off side, front, and headlights, only stock plastic is the seat and front tire hugger. What do you think about sprocket set-up?

Old 04-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragondima
...What do you think about sprocket set-up?
Oem/stock setup 16/46 w/ steel sprockets is sufficient, since you're going to be using it on the street primarily. However, if you wanted to lighten it up (negligible), you could do the 520 conversion w/ aluminum sprockets. Just be aware that alum will not last as long as steel.

Also, there's always the option of changing sprocket sizes to suit your needs as well. As I'm sure you've read here on the forum, -1/+2 is the most common change in sprocket sizing to increase acceleration. However, until you've gained some experience on the track, any sprocket size changes won't matter a great deal until you've gotten technique down first.