Track Days & Riding Schools This section is for the announcement of open track days and educational riding school events.

proper track etiquette tips for my 1st track day

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default proper track etiquette tips for my 1st track day

I'm about to go out for my first track day. From what I understand it is a hourly fee and anyone can come on. I'm not looking to set a land speed record but to quote the famous Ricky Bobby, "l like to go fast." Can anyone give me any tips so I dont make **** anyone off. Perhaps proper passing times, what type of distances I should maintain from the other riders, ect..

Old 06-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not familiar with an hourly fee setup, most are per day payments. Each club has rules that you should follow. If you follow them and listen to the briefing given at the start of the morning, you should be fine.

BTW- it is considered rude to crash; the session gets red-flagged eating away other people's time.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:00 PM

awesome thanks bro-i just wanted to make sure I didnt miss any sort of unwritten rule that would **** off another rider.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Track rules aren't "unwritten". My understanding they're very explicit and vocal about them during your orientation.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:19 PM

just hold your line and be predictable. If you hear a guy riding your butt, don't move out of the way to let him pass. Just keep doing your thing. He'll find a way around you.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by despicablecbr600
I'm about to go out for my first track day. From what I understand it is a hourly fee and anyone can come on. I'm not looking to set a land speed record but to quote the famous Ricky Bobby, "l like to go fast." Can anyone give me any tips so I dont make **** anyone off. Perhaps proper passing times, what type of distances I should maintain from the other riders, ect..
Never seen an "hourly" rate fee. Most orgs divide groups into Advanced, Intermediate, and Beginners/Novice. As a first timer, you'd be novice and in the org I'm with, we're very explicit about the rules and explain safety, flags, passing, cornering, entering/exiting the track, etc.

We assign all new riders an instructor, usually one instructor works with 6 - 8 students throughout the day. We include classroom, video, and on track instruction.

General for a first timer, we don't allow ANY inside passing, outside passing only with a minimum 6' cushion.

Last edited by randyjoy; 06-15-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:23 PM

The rules should all be well explained. Also, every organization is different. Some don't allow inside passing like the previous person said, some only allow passing on the straights, and some just don't allow passing!

Old 06-17-2010, 05:49 PM

NO Passing??? Even schools allow passing on straights!!!

Old 06-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaybird180
NO Passing??? Even schools allow passing on straights!!!
In the intro group? And regardless of past experience, a serious school would automatically place a first time rider in their school in the beginner / intro group.

Every track group I've checked out up here says that point blank. And they've all said no passing in the beginner group

Old 06-17-2010, 06:10 PM

Intro groups are something different. Those are like guided tours.
B groups are sometimes called Novice as said above. Most of them allow passing on the outside of the corner, post apex or on straightaways only.

Quick Reply: proper track etiquette tips for my 1st track day