F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Touring with the f4i

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touring with the f4i

Its been a long a crazy fun ride with the f4i.....

Next summer I am planning to take a 5000 mile trek from here in Kansas City, down to the Grand Canyon, up the pacific coast highway, make a stop near seattle, and then find my way home.

I have been debating whether I can stand a week and a half on the back of my cbr, the guys over at sport-touring.net had me convined to get a different saddle, some cortech luggage and weather it out with the f4i.....then one of the guys making the trip with me brought up the point of gas mileage.....i get 41 hwy on my bike.....The bike I would get now that I am getting more into the sport touring side of things and not so much the 80 mph wheelies anymore, the bmw f650 gets around 55......that would only save me 150 in gas on this trip, but I am just wondering about the long run.

I really dont want to see the f4i go....its an amazing bike.....let me know your thoughts, and ideas.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Touring with the f4i

You can tour just fine on the F4i.... I should know! Sure it might not be the "best" bike to do long trips on, but what sportbike is? It's still very much doable though. My F4i has taken me halfway across the country, as well as most everywhere in the southeast and part of the midwest without a problem. It does take a little conditioning to get used to long trips, but after awhile it's not a problem... you get used to it. I spent 18 days straight on my bike back in 2006, and 10 days on it last year

If you care to see.... some pics from some of my trips
https://cbrforum.com/m_41714/tm.htm

https://cbrforum.com/m_107933/tm.htm

https://cbrforum.com/m_216297/tm.htm

https://cbrforum.com/m_384549/tm.htm

So yea, I'd say if you love your bike and don't want to get rid of it, don't let a roadtrip scare you. Get some saddlebags, load the F4i up and head out... it ain't no Goldwing, but it probably won't be as bad as you may think Of course my opinion may be a little biased, so take it with a grain of salt.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:14 AM

-Jared
I envy you, you are my hero! Awesome pix! I may have to take a long road trip on the f4i next summer!

Old 08-05-2008, 10:54 AM
SjT

Did you modify the seat at all? I took a 3 hr trip this weekend and my *** was killin me!

Old 08-05-2008, 11:58 AM

Awesome, I thought I was actually thinking about selling my bike, what a relief that i am going to keep it.

Anyone know of any good luggage for the f4i, I am currently looking at cortech.

Also any aftermarket seats or seat mods I should be considering besides corbin?

Old 08-05-2008, 12:25 PM

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi

You can tour just fine on the F4i.... I should know! Sure it might not be the "best" bike to do long trips on, but what sportbike is? It's still very much doable though. My F4i has taken me halfway across the country, as well as most everywhere in the southeast and part of the midwest without a problem. It does take a little conditioning to get used to long trips, but after awhile it's not a problem... you get used to it. I spent 18 days straight on my bike back in 2006, and 10 days on it last year

If you care to see.... some pics from some of my trips
https://cbrforum.com/m_41714/tm.htm

https://cbrforum.com/m_107933/tm.htm

https://cbrforum.com/m_216297/tm.htm

https://cbrforum.com/m_384549/tm.htm

So yea, I'd say if you love your bike and don't want to get rid of it, don't let a roadtrip scare you. Get some saddlebags, load the F4i up and head out... it ain't no Goldwing, but it probably won't be as bad as you may think Of course my opinion may be a little biased, so take it with a grain of salt.
Those are great photos.

My 2 cents are...build up a "tolerance" to go long distances. Just a couple of weeks ago, I rode for close 10 hours due to mainly being twisties. However, I did do 350 miles.

Last month, I rented a house in the SLO area and just rode and rode and rode. I was going through two tanks a day.

I would think that I'm ready to do a long distance trip. Unfortunately, I can find anyone to go out with. So enjoy.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:03 AM

I bought my F4i specifically for long-distance touring and it's terrific. I also have a BMW 1150RS and I prefer the CBR, hands down. Longest day I've done is about 650 milescould have gone another 100 with a rest.

I have a custom Sargent seat on my 06 that has been widened toward the back part of the rider section, although the stock seat is not so bad. The Sargent was $300. I also have a Zero Gravity double bubble windshield. This quiets the wind noise quite a bit, a real plus during a long day. I have stock bars but have moved them back and up just a little, to ease the riding position.

For luggage, I go extreme lightweight: A Fieldsheer tailback and a backpack. Plenty of room for a rainsuit, the warmest clothing I expect to need and other stuff. I even carry a small laptop and an iPod. (Entymonic earbuds for listening at highway speeds. I've also added a Throttlemeister throttle tensioner for relief on long stretches of super highway.

One thing that has really worked well for me is a pair of padded bicycle shorts under armored riding pants. This seems to entirely eliminate that sore tailbone you get even with the best seats. It also gives some temperature range if it's really hotthe pants have openable vents.
Don't forget some qood quality earplugs. And a tire kit. (Three flats for me last yeara very bad year.)

Worth noting is that not everyone can hack a sport bike for long tours. I bought theF4specifically because of its relatively relaxed riding position. But it ain't no cruiser. I think you have to be in moderately good physical condition to be comfortable on it all day. I recently toured with another rider who isn't in good condition and he was dying after three hours. If you're a gym rat, lots of crunches and ab muscle reps will help make a ride like this a walk in the park.

Best thing is, the F4 will scream along the freeways and carve corners with the best of them. It really is the best of all worlds.

Paul

Old 08-27-2008, 07:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the F4 banana seat - I did 5000km in 5 days... and I wasn't sore at all.Actually - I was ready to keep going, but had to fly out. The last day I did 1000 miles (1600 km) just to say I did. I woke up the next day and was ready to do it again... it's not super human it is practice and preparation. That's all it is.

cortech bags +1 - I have the cortech 10L tank bag, the sport top and side bags

Strapped on top of my bags was my tent, and 12'*40' rain tarp.

I have a autocom for mixing my music/two-way comm

I have a garmin gps (nuvi 360 - not waterproof, so I cover it with a zip lock bag when it rains), it doubles as my mp3 player and food/camp ground/gas station finder.

I have a ram mount, from the 2 front gas tank bolts up 3" - it puts the GPS visually just below the tach.

I have a few other bits and pieces I use - heated vest for bad weather, aux fuse panel for my gadgets, etc.

The bike tours just fine - it's a matter of getting used to being on a bike that long, not sitting still, and wearing good gear. If you're hot, cold or wet the trip will suck.

Do a few day trips, get up at 7 - leave at 8 and get back at 8. If you can't log 600 miles in 12 hours, then do 400. It'll get you into the right tempo.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:18 AM

that sounds awesome i wish i had the time to do that. just get a new seat and you will be fine. f4i's are known for the uncomftorable seats. the most i've done in a day was 200 but after i got a nice massage because i saved so much money on gas! If i take it reasonably easy on mine i have gotten up to 47 mpg also.good luck on your ride.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Berto

I bought my F4i specifically for long-distance touring and it's terrific. I also have a BMW 1150RS and I prefer the CBR, hands down. Longest day I've done is about 650 milescould have gone another 100 with a rest.

I have a custom Sargent seat on my 06 that has been widened toward the back part of the rider section, although the stock seat is not so bad. The Sargent was $300. I also have a Zero Gravity double bubble windshield. This quiets the wind noise quite a bit, a real plus during a long day. I have stock bars but have moved them back and up just a little, to ease the riding position.

For luggage, I go extreme lightweight: A Fieldsheer tailback and a backpack. Plenty of room for a rainsuit, the warmest clothing I expect to need and other stuff. I even carry a small laptop and an iPod. (Entymonic earbuds for listening at highway speeds. I've also added a Throttlemeister throttle tensioner for relief on long stretches of super highway.

One thing that has really worked well for me is a pair of padded bicycle shorts under armored riding pants. This seems to entirely eliminate that sore tailbone you get even with the best seats. It also gives some temperature range if it's really hotthe pants have openable vents.
Don't forget some qood quality earplugs. And a tire kit. (Three flats for me last yeara very bad year.)

Worth noting is that not everyone can hack a sport bike for long tours. I bought theF4specifically because of its relatively relaxed riding position. But it ain't no cruiser. I think you have to be in moderately good physical condition to be comfortable on it all day. I recently toured with another rider who isn't in good condition and he was dying after three hours. If you're a gym rat, lots of crunches and ab muscle reps will help make a ride like this a walk in the park.

Best thing is, the F4 will scream along the freeways and carve corners with the best of them. It really is the best of all worlds.

Paul

Thanks for that info, I have been looking at luggage the past few days and contemplating what to do. I think I finnally decided on the Nelson Rigg Magnetic Tank bag, and then either Nelson Rigg or Fieldsheer Tail bag. I like the looks of a tailbag better than saddlebags, since I don't need both, and I plan to travel pretty light with just a tent, sleeping bag, and a few other necessities. I just bought a sheepskin seat pad from alaska leather, and it does wonders for riding distance, it adds padding and cooling to the seat, I may end up getting a corbin or sargent if I can find a used one at a reasonable price.

Tank Bag

Nelson Rigg tail bag

Fieldsheer tail bag

Sheepskin pad

ORIGINAL: woot

The bike tours just fine - it's a matter of getting used to being on a bike that long, not sitting still, and wearing good gear. If you're hot, cold or wet the trip will suck.

+1 on the gear, I am in the process of amassing my riding gear as well, and really have no idea whatI am looking for, I am looking at some of fieldsheer's 1000 carbolex jackets, they have liners, and can essentially be used for all weather riding from what I have read, and then just trying to find boots andgloves that Ilike that arent outof my limited price range.

I will be sure to post up a thread about prepping for the ride in a few months, as well as a full ride report with pics and vids of everything when I get back.