F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Time to change that OIL

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Time to change that OIL

some people replace the crush washers on their drain bolt too... i haven't in 25,000 miles. I probably should do that. Don't over-torque your drain bolt or your filter.

Remember to rub oil on the outside of your filter gasket before twisting it on.

Don't take off the fairings. Unnecessary step.

Other than that, I give this oil change plan a 4 thumbs up.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:10 PM

Hmmmm...taking off your fairings is just extra work. After you have done this for a couple of years, you will learn young jedi. Work smart not hard.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:11 PM

ORIGINAL: jonld

You can do it but you will have oil all over the header and the air dam plastic aswell as the side plastics where they connect at the bottom in the front. I just changed mine Sunday as I always do. I highly suggest you remove at least one side. I just pulled the right side off. Your going to have to have a really low wide pan to catch the oil or some way of elevating the bike. The filter is going to leak plenty all over the headers still. Once you've changed it all out spray some cleaner on there and spray off with water hose. As for oil there is all kinds of arguments about it but I always run castrol 10-40w. I've been using the full synthetic(Black Bottle) in all my bikes for a couple of years now and its been great. I've also used Lucas aswell as many others. Just make sure the API label on the back does not say energy conserving on whatever oil you buy. Energy conserving additives have a tendency to mess up wet clutches.
I dropped by the nearby Walmart yesterday and all they had was motor oil for cars but I thought they made one specifically for motorcycle engines..anyway I'm going to stop by my nearby bike shop today and see what they got. As for the oil dripping over the headers, if I were to put some foil on the headers would that help prevent a mess?
I was going to buy those oil boxes you can use on cars to collect the old oil, but I don't know if the ground clearance will be enough so in that case I may have to take off the fairing. I looked over the service manual on how to remove the fairing and it looks like you just remove 6 bolts, what size socket does everyone use for the left/right fairing?

Old 10-28-2008, 01:19 PM

5mm allen wrench. YOU DON'T NEED TO TAKE OFF YOUR FAIRINGS!!! Don't use car oil. Use motorcycle oil 10w40 without Moly. If you get oil on your headers it will burn off when you start it up. Or just don't make a mess.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:24 PM

Not enough clearance has to be on stands for those collecting pans to get underneath If you have some one sit on the bike and hold it straight up you can bearly get one underneith if you want to do that. The fairing bolts if i recall correctly are alen 8mm or 5mm. Dont remember.

I wish i didn't have a full exhaust, i have to take the exhaust headers off every oil change

Old 10-28-2008, 03:01 PM

How do you catch all the oil out of the filter is if the fairing i still on?

You just need 10W-40. Any brand at any price will do the job. I can't remember the number but Bosch 3300 (or 3303 or something like that) will fit and it's like 4 bucks.

Anybody know the real amount of oil to put in? The manual says like 3.5 quarts but I'm pretty sure that is to much.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: some guy #2

How do you catch all the oil out of the filter is if the fairing i still on?
If you take the filter off slow, you'll notice that you won't get oil on the fairing or the headers. I've done it many times. Unscrew it losely enoughso the oil barely trickels out, but so the filter is still attached to the bike.You won't spill any anywhere using this method. If youunscrew it and take it off as quickly as possible, then yeah, you'll get oil over everything. If you had a 600RR, you pretty much have to take the faring off. F4i is a piece of cake.

You just need 10W-40. Any brand at any price will do the job.
Wrong. Oil with Molybdenum will**** your **** up over time. Moly = Bad.

Anybody know the real amount of oil to put in? The manual says like 3.5 quarts but I'm pretty sure that is to much.
Yep, 3.5 will put it right in the center.
The 600RR's take a little bit less. 3.2ish.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:01 PM

Every time I put 3.5 quarts in the window is completely filled, as in over the lines. The bike is level when I check it. Any help?

So do you put foil over the headers or something to keep the trickle of oil off the engine? If it trickles out wouldn't you be wiping up oil until it empties (not much I know).

Old 10-28-2008, 04:05 PM

I usually take some aluminum and fold it, stick it under the oil filter and it just lays on the headers. The oil will drip down onto and into the drip pan. I never have oil on the headers, well the first time and then it just burnt off. Not a big deal man. Easy to do and it will save you lots of $$$$. good luck.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:16 PM

Every time I put 3.5 quarts in the window is completely filled, as in over the lines. The bike is level when I check it. Any help?
Do you have the 2001-2003 model or the 2004-2006 model? Might make a difference, althout i'm not 100% sure. I've got a 2002 and 3.5 is perfect for me. I know it is impossible to get ALL of the oil out, however,I usually let mine drain for about 4 or 5 minutes after the oil stops draining in a laminar style. I know that the F4i and the 600RR, while very similar in engines, take different quantities of oil.A lot different.

Quick Reply: Time to change that OIL