F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

for those with owners manual...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default for those with owners manual...

I did a quick search but cant seem to find the answer to my question.
The guy that sold me my F4i lost his owners manual, I just wanted to know time interval between spark-plug replacement. 10K? 20k?

Old 05-26-2009, 01:21 PM

Inspect every 8k and replace every 16k.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:43 PM

kool, thnx much.

i'm having all four of my spark-plugs helicoiled due to one of them being stripped and spit out durring a ride home, and instead of just having one going a size up in spark-plug i decided to get all four done at the same time. it'll keep me from gettin a head-ache later one. just makes sense. i buddy is hookin me up so i wont be out that much cash. now i just gatta keep in mind to check em out after the next 8k.

Last edited by Joey_f4i; 05-26-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Joey_f4i
kool, thnx much.

i'm having all four of my spark-plugs helicoiled due to one of them being stripped and spit out durring a ride home, and instead of just having one going a size up in spark-plug i decided to get all four done at the same time.
Just curious:
What will you do if (hope not) you **ck another spark tread (on one of other 3 cylinders) in the future? If you have helicoiled just that 1 by then, it could be done for another one in the future, but like this...?
it'll keep me from gettin a head-ache later one. just makes sense.
this is not my opinion... Good luck...

Old 06-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joey, you dont have to change the size of spark plug. Heli-coils are designed to be inserted and retain the original thread size and pitch, you just gotta get the right size kit. Besides that, if it ain't broke then don't fix it. (the other 3) To avoid stripping the other three, first use a rubber hose to install the plugs (I use the overflow hose, its right there and works great), then DON'T overtighten them. And you wont have to worry about those "future headaches"

Old 06-01-2009, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by p0peye
Just curious:
What will you do if (hope not) you **ck another spark tread (on one of other 3 cylinders) in the future? If you have helicoiled just that 1 by then, it could be done for another one in the future, but like this...?
this is not my opinion... Good luck...
Well "I", did not **ck up the thread on the head, it was the previous owner, he did not read the correct torque measurement and probably just tightened it till he felt like it was good and stripped lol.
I usually do most maintanance on my motorbikes, and when I do, I use the correct tools inlcudiing checking torque measurments for bolt tightening etc..
anywho, having said that, the mechanic doing the repairs on my bike at the moment recommended that I should and might as well replace the other 3 with helicoil threads because he noticed that another thread was near to stripped and the remaining 2 were not in the best condition. I tend to listen to him, not only because he's a buddy of mine but because , and most importantly, he's been at this for 12 13ish years repairing and maintaining bikes. So I dont usually doubt him lol.
Yea, skooby, you are right about the size being the same, my buddy was explaining how he used a slightly larger bit to drill out the hole and then tap and finnaly thread the helicoil in, sizes remaining the same, I'm pretty sure I mis-understood him.