F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Thinking of buying an F4i

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinking of buying an F4i

I know what you mean about the question of "will I use it enough"? I bought mine late last summer, the week after my wife told me she was pregnant (thinking this is probably the last toy I'll be getting for a while). Since my daughter has been born, my toy time has disappeared. I watch my daughter during the day and have to drop her off at my moms on the way to work (2nd shift). That means I have to take the Taurus. Damn!!!! I've only put about 500 miles on the bike and about 500miles on the Corvette this spring/summer so far. At this point in my life they are the two most impractical things I could own. But I couldn't imagine being without either. Do I regret getting the bike? Not for a minute! They still put a smile on my face just looking at them. Have you also concidered the 650r Ninja. Nice bike at a decent price. Probably a little more forgiving than the F4i for a beginner. Get a bike and go riding with your wife. Good quality time together, and alot more fun than riding alone!

Old 08-24-2006, 03:19 PM

Thanks again for the responses. It's not about gas, we sold my wife's car because we don't even use my car enough, none-the-less hers. And this is just a hobby, there's no necessity to ride this, we have more than enough money, but it's about time and enjoyment.

I've been commuting into DC already for about 2 weeks, I'm not claiming to be an experienced rider after a few months, just that it's looking like I'm going to continue to commute on a bike in the near future. As the obvious benefits, Cost (5$ amonth to park), enjoyment (I enjoy it), and time (cuts commute in half) outweigh the obvious negatives (kinda hot). The not so obvious cost/benefit is what I'm concerned about, namely, Do people get bored of riding when it becomes a commute? Is it dangerous?

The question I should have asked in the beginning, is how many people get bored of riding? I know that driving a car commuting is awful, the bus and subway are pretty boring, but I can do that. I tried bicycling half way and then taking metro, but that wasn't sustainable. So far taking the bike to and from work has been fun, but I'm wondering if the honeymoon gets over when you HAVE to take that mode of transportation everyday.

When would you qualify someone as "ready" as all people learn at different speeds, I don't see outright time being a good determination. Like with flying, it's hours in the cockpit, not just time, because they realize total time varies wildly with time in the air. Same can be said with biking... like is there a number of miles, number of days of commute you would qualify someone to move up to a inline 4 vs. a 2 banger?
I'm going to get my own bike at some point and I've aleady settled on the F4i, the decision isn't about what bike, as much as when. At this point, I'm going to wait about a month and see how commuting is when we're back in full swing. Let's be honest, the SV650 although technically speaking a nice bike, looks like ***... my wife was making fun of it even... V-twin fuel injected is nice, but I'm against 2 bangers now. I want fuel injected and a 4 cyl. I work on my car quite a bit, and expect to be working no the bike as well. I'm not going to buy carbuerated or a twin if I can help it.

I've read all the horror stories and accident threads to death, I understand and accept the danger, and I'm being as cautious as my skills allow at this point. I think the only way you really get to practice, hone, and get better at your skills, is to ride, and to be challenged, within reason.

I'm ok with the idea of staying on the ex500, but I want my own, and looking for people's experiences, especially making the leap from a 50hp bike to a 100hp bike (roughly speaking). Thanks, Bill

Old 08-24-2006, 03:24 PM

ORIGINAL: ninetyfivehp

the ex500 is a great bike to learn on. you won't get bored with it too fast and its very forgiving.
I totally appreciate that with regards to misshifting or bumps, not to mention it's about the same weight as the f4i... I'm familiar with various suspensions on cars, and I didn't particularly think a stiffer suspension was less forgiving, as much just uncomfortable for big bumps, pot holes etc... I'm sure the power on the ex500 is safe also, so I'm definetly going to tread with great trepedation when I do make the shift.

It's not bored, as much "my own". When you say forgiving about suspension, you mean?

Old 08-24-2006, 03:33 PM

What kind of experiences would you say were useful in becoming a more experienced rider?

Old 08-24-2006, 03:55 PM

I ride mine all the time. I told myself that I'd never ride it in the rain, yet I end up riding in the rain. Over the winter, as long as the temperature was 40 or above and there wasn't frost in the lawn, I rode it. Sure there are days that I drive, but that's necessary sometimes. Some days I don't feel like gearing up. Others I just get a feeling that it's a car day.

Still, I am just as excited to throw my leg over it for the 2 minute ride down to the grocery store as I am to go on a 2 hour ride through the twisties. I think people can analytically "pro/con" themselves in or out of just about anything. You're fortunate enough to have a bike to ride now to test yourself out on, to see if you get bored with it. Many of us, I'm sure, didn't have that luxury the first time 'round. I certainly didn't. I went out on a limb and sold my nice, sporty, comfortable car and bought an '01 F4i in downtown San Francisco. I rode it all over the city and the next morning started up the coast. I rode for 8-12 hours for the next three days as I made my way up the west coast to Bellingham, Wa. I loved every minute of it. There were aspects of buying it that made sense and aspects that didn't make any sense. In the end, I haven't been bored for a moment and my heart is happier for it.

As far as the best thing for gaining experience, spend a lot of time in a big open parking lot. Learn to brake, learn to change direction quickly but safely. Other than that, I think the best experience is just riding consistantly and consciously. It sounds like you're doing exactly that on the ex500. Just keep it up.

From reading what you've written, you want it and you know it. Just buy the damn thing and love it.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:56 PM

motocross bikes

Old 08-24-2006, 03:57 PM

As far as bored of riding. Commuting in a car can't even begin to compare with on a motorcycle. In a cage you just want to get there. On the bike you enjoy the ride. I get up in the morning and look forward to going to work. Not GETTING to work, but just going. And my ride is only 15 minutes. I would love a 30-40 minute ride to start my day.

ORIGINAL: Ocelaris

What kind of experiences would you say were useful in becoming a more experienced rider?
Seat time. Pure and simple. The more quality seat time you get the more natural riding becomes. It gets to the point that things happen automatically. You realize that you knew that car was going to cut you off before it ever happened.

Track time will also help. Trackdays will let you safely explore the limits of the bike in an arena without traffic, gravel, oil spots or other hazards. Don't kid yourself, the EX500 will be just fine on a track.

Also read a couple of books:

Twist of the Wrist II by Keith Code and Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch, also Total Control by Lee Parks. Once you get done with those you should see why getting a F4i before you have spent some time on the Ex500 will actually HURT your riding skills, and could have you swearing off riding all together.

Its not that you are going to intentionally ride past your limits. It is the fact that you have not developed the skill to reprogram your survival instincts so they don't kill you. When you panic on a bike your natural instincts will do exactly the wrong thing. Since everything is slowed down on the EX500 you can learn on a less severe curve. Once your skills advance you will realize that you are keeping up with MUCH faster bikes. That is when it's time to upgrade.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:07 PM

This is my third bike that I have owned, and drive time is what makes you better. But the one thing in my experience is when I hit the pavement and tore up my arms and legs, and my bike went sliding down the road without me on it. It made me realize that I can be hurt and it made me wake up, I was fast and reckless and after my accident it knocked me down a few pegs and I am now a responsible driver. Well, ok more responsible that I was. I have been riding for some time now, and you will have to just get more time under you to get better. As I once heard, "Why do we fall down? So we can pick ourselves back up again."

Old 08-24-2006, 10:11 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea man once you start riding you'll get hooked... real fast!! I've been commuting on my F4i ever since I bought it almost 2 years ago (first bike), and I recently started a new job with a 95 mile daily commute and still love it. I too look forward to riding to and from work everyday, actually makes me wake up on time in the mornings, hahah. Of course if the weather is really bad I take my cage, but I'm always sad when I have to, I'd always much rather be on the bike.

As far as getting bored of riding... if you truly love it and ride for the love of riding and not just to flash, then trust me you won't get bored of it. I bought my '04 new less than 2 years ago and it just turned 62,000 miles this morning, if that tells ya anything. In may I took it on an 18 day roadtrip that took me through 10 states and 5,126.3 miles roundtrip, and absolutely LOVED every minute of it. Once you get hooked, it's like a drug (a legal one!), and you almost can't get enough of it.

But yea you may want to get a little more seat time in on the EX500 before getting the F4i. But once you do you'll love the F4i, it's an awsome bike! Reliable as any Honda and pretty damn comfy too! Probably one of the best "all around" bikes you'll find