F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Tempermental/Broken Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:18 PM
zad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tempermental/Broken Speedometer

Hey.

I ride a 2001 CBR600 f4i, and about a month ago the speedometer stopped working. I noticed that this began occurring after a new chain was installed on the bike, but I'm not sure if thats related at all.

My speedo gauge now reads 0Kmph as I ride, however, everything else on the gauge cluster works fine. Something interesting that I noticed is that after a long enough ride, around 1 hour, the speedometer miraculously begins working again for the remainder of that ride. It happens every time I go for a long enough ride, like clockwork. But after the bike has been parked for a while and I am starting a new ride, once again the speedo reads 0.

My friend and I opened up the bike with the help of a service manual and took a look at the speedo sensor and everything looked intact. The connections weren't shotty as far as we could tell, but we cleaned everything up anyways, to no avail. Do any of you have an idea what could be the problem here?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-12-2010, 04:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fairly common problem on the F4i, so common that I currently have exactly the same problem. I too have tried cleaning the connections and the speed sensor itself to no avail, only solution appears to be replacing it.

There are several threads on here about the topic but basically if cleaning doesnt help then the only cure appears to be replacing the speed sensor. For now, find a rpm and gear combination for i.e. 30mph, 60mph etc and enjoy not adding miles to your bike when riding it.

Last edited by DonnyBrago; 07-12-2010 at 04:09 AM.